The Beautiful Hypnobabies Birth of Quinten

“I’m also so thankful to Hypnobabies for giving me the skills to have a completely comfortable, relaxed, and calm birth. It was truly a mind-blowing and miraculous experience, even better than I dreamed it could be.”

Hypnobabies® – Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!

tummy hands of mom

First, a little history… My first-born was 10 days early and 8 lb 5 oz.   I received pitocin, no epidural, and labor was only 2 hours with two pushes.  I hadn’t taken any “pain” management classes, so I was completely unprepared for an unmedicated birth.  Thankfully it was a very quick delivery!  My second baby was also 10 days early and was 9 lb 6 oz.  Again, I received pitocin and did get an epidural, labor was 4 hours and 2 pushes. I felt awful after that epidural. I had the shakes, was lightheaded, had a backache, experienced vomiting, and I hated feeling paralyzed for hours.  When I discovered that I was pregnant again, I quickly started researching my options for a pain-free, unmedicated birth.  A friend of mine who had done Hypnobabies shared her amazing testimony with me.  I was sold! I started the at-home program at about 30 weeks gestation. Everyday I looked forward to my Hypnobabies time; it was so relaxing and often sleep-inducing.

My due date of July 9th came and went. To my amazement, baby 3 didn’t want to come 10 days early like its siblings. I had been walking around at 4cm dilated and 70% effaced for about a month, but with no regular contractions. I was still very pregnant and quite comfortable, despite being a week past my due date. My doctor knew I wanted a completely unassisted and unmedicated birth, but he didn’t want me to go much past 41 weeks.  So, we agreed that I would be admitted at 41.2 weeks, and my water would be broken. I was disappointed that I wasn’t going to be able to go in to labor on my own and experience a completely natural and intervention free birth, as I had visualized.

I was scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 6 am on Friday, July 18th.  God answered my prayers and beat the doctor to it!  I woke up at 3 am that morning with very strong pressure waves, which were each 60-90 seconds each and 4-8 minutes apart, and I was excited to see that I also had bloody show.  I woke my husband and told him that I was in labor, put my ear buds in, started listing to my Birthing Day Affirmations track, and then went ahead and got ready for my big day.  Once ready, I sat down in my comfy recliner and started listening to the Easy First Stage track until it was time to leave for the hospital. Luckily we only have a 2-minute commute to the hospital, because by this time my waves were only 3-4 minutes apart and very strong.  We got checked in quickly and I was in my birthing room by about 6:10 am.  I continued playing the Easy First Stage track continuously. My birthing plan stated that I did not want an IV, only a saline lock in my hand.  The nurses tried several times, but were unable to find a useable vein in my hands, so they called in the IV team to see if they could help.  My doctor wanted to wait to break my water until my saline lock was in place, so he said he’d be back in a few minutes to check on me. Meanwhile, my pressure waves were becoming incredibly strong and close together.  My husband and friend said that the nurses thought I was asleep because I appeared so relaxed! I got up to use the restroom twice and I could tell it was getting close by the extreme pressure I felt when sitting upright and walking.  I had to really work to maintain my calmness and relaxation during these times. Once back in bed, I turned my switch off and was again completely relaxed.  A few moments later, I had another pressure wave. Suddenly I began spontaneously pushing and these super loud, guttural noises came out of my mouth (was that me?!). It was such an out of body experience to have my muscles and mouth doing things that I had absolutely zero control over.  After that pressure wave, I opened my eyes to see my husband and friend looking at me in shock.  I was just as shocked as they were, so I just shrugged, smiled, and turned my switch back off.  Let me mention that I had never been checked for dilation since entering the hospital, so the nurses and doctor had no idea how far along I was. Apparently they thought that since I was so relaxed and had only just been admitted to the hospital there was no rush. Not to mention that my water hadn’t yet broken. Two pressure waves later there was another bout of spontaneous pushing and grunting, and I delivered his head! Relaxed.  Reclined in bed.  Legs out in front of me.  What?!  After the pressure wave, I opened my eyes and said, “I just had the head!”. Everyone in the room just looked at me like I was crazy, smiled and nodded.  I reached down and felt the head through the bag of water! Once I’d shown them the evidence, the nurse ran out in the hallway calling for a doctor, any doctor, as my doctor was preoccupied in surgery at the time.  I was still relaxed, and so invigorated and excited – I was about to meet my baby! A doctor came in, chatted us up for a minute, told us how special and rare it is for a baby to be born En-Caul (still in the bag of water). Two small mother-directed pushes at the next pressure wave, and at 8:01 am, baby was born!  The doctor broke the bag of water and removed it from the baby. I looked down and proudly told my husband that we had another BOY! He was immediately placed on my chest and allowed to breastfeed. We did delayed cord cutting, and my husband cut the cord after a few minutes, once it was no longer pulsing.  He weighed in at 8 lb 14 oz and 21” long.

I am so thankful to God for giving me the beautiful, intervention-free birth that I’d prayed for.  No IV, no medicine and less than two hours in the hospital before the birth – exactly what I wanted. And to think, just the night before I was sad because I didn’t think things were going to go according to MY plan! I’m also so thankful to Hypnobabies for giving me the skills to have a completely comfortable, relaxed, and calm birth. It was truly a mind-blowing and miraculous experience, even better than I dreamed it could be.