This was my first hypnobaby. My first two births were natural – one in bed, the second a water birth. Water broke with the first two as the start of labor and then 5-6hr labors which came on fast and strong.

This time I had been using my positive thoughts for several things:

    • That my water would remain intact
    • That I would go into labor after Wed night at 5pm when the midwife I wanted went on call
    • That I would remain calm
    • That I would birth in the morning when I was rested and fresh.

I had been having lots of braxton hicks my whole pregnancy and for the week prior to labor I had some significant contractions during the night, sometimes regular. I practiced my Hypnobabies finger drop technique and was amazed that it actually worked!  I would even giggle as I gave myself the “peace” cue and I actually felt good. … 


I had also been charting my temps to see if there would be any correlation with labor. I had been running in the mid 97’s and Thurs morning it was low 98’s….not a huge jump, but enough to make me wonder…I got up at 6am and went potty and had a lot of mucus…no blood tinge…and had been losing pieces for a couple weeks, but this was the most. Had a contraction, not unusual.  Nursed my 1 1/2yr old and had about a 10 minute very significant contraction…also, not something that hadn’t happened before.

Then I started having contractions but they were very mild….was busy getting my girls ready and myself for work even though I thought this might be it.  Was a little shaky so we all had breakfast, my contractions were 2-4min apart but not strong. I wondered if I should make my calls, my mom who had to come up for the girls was over 1hr away and my husband was at work 45 min away, I was 30 min away from the hospital and with my last I arrived and started pushing…so I didn’t want to cut things too close.

At 7:30am I decided to head for the hospital.  Contractions spaced way out in the car and I thought I was a fool for not sitting down at home to see if they went away…but I had already made my calls so I headed in anyway. Arrived at the hospital a little after 8am and was afraid I wouldn’t have any contractions on my 20 min pre-strip and they would think I was crazy for coming in….I finally had one 🙂

They were so mild I was just chatting away happily and having a tea party with my girls. The midwife came and asked if I’d like to be checked…I told her yes because I think it might be a false alarm…I was apologizing when she told me I was 8cm and 100% effaced.  I was shocked–I still felt fine.

My water broke then and I thought, ok–here comes the hard part.


Got into the tub and had a few more contractions maybe 7 min apart or so….used my finger drop/peace cue and felt  totally fine. Chatted with my husband and just relaxed in the water.  He kept asking if I was even having contractions 🙂

Probably sometime around 9am I felt a very different pushy contraction….we called for the nurse and the midwife and I started gently easing out my baby. The pressure was very intense at this point.  Fortunately my midwife teaches hypnobirthing (I was unable to take the class due to child care issues–which is why I discovered Hypnobabies).  She was saying all the things I was familiar with in her soothing calm voice.  I stayed very calm and relaxed and our little girl made her way into the world at 9:18am on 9/18. She is beautiful and perfect and I LOVED my birth. No tears, no hemorrhoids and I feel great!

I wish you all such wonderful birthing experiences.

Thank you to Hypnobabies—I really enjoyed how positive and calm it kept me at the end of my pregnancy as well as in labor.  It was nice to look forward to my birthing day and not dread it 🙂

Abriella Grace
9:18 am
7lbs 12oz
19 1/2in