Jessica’s Hypnobabies Hospital Water Birth

Jessica’s Hypnobabies Hospital Water Birth

“I continued listening to “Easy First Stage” (Hypnobabies main hypnosis track for birthing to stay in deep hypnosis) the whole time during the drive I found it very comforting. I walked from the car to the hospital which was difficult but my light switch (Hypnobabies technique to enter hypnosis) was in center and I just turned it off during pressure waves (Hypnobabies word for contraction).”

Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis really does help you enjoy a much easier and more comfortable birthing! Use code hypno1528 for 10% off our Hypnobabies Home Study Courses.

Thank you to Hypnobabies Instructor Ricky Issler of Comforting Hands Doula

On Wednesday December 20 I woke up and went to my midwife appointment at 40 weeks and 1 day. An adjusted due date from my previously thought December 23. She did a membrane sweep which started early labor at a pressure wave every 30 min – 1 hour unless I was walking around and then they were every 10-20 minutes.

I decided to take my boys out for lunch one last time just the 3 of us I knew the baby was coming at this point by the next day. After lunch I went home and did some last minute things while I still could. My husband came home early and my parents came to take the two older boys overnight for a couple days. I watched an episode on TV and then needed to listen to “Easy First Stage” because I needed to quiet my mind and be focused. After listening to that I thought I would get up and move around.

While moving and standing pressure waves were 3 minutes apart but while sitting they were up to 8 minutes apart. I decided to listen to Easy First Stage again as my midwife suggested, to see if the pressure waves would come closer together while relaxed. After 30 minutes of this I realized that they were definitely coming faster and harder. I had one pressure wave where I lost control. My eyes were open and I was saying negative things like saying it hurt and I was scared.  I quickly realized the problem was I wasn’t in a comfortable position. I also had to use the bathroom. Once that was resolved I was able to stay in control.

We called the midwife and met her at the hospital. I continued listening to “Easy First Stage” the whole time during the drive I found it very comforting. I walked from the car to the hospital which was difficult but my light switch was in center and I just turned it off during pressure waves. Even if a nurse was asking me questions I didn’t respond because I knew my husband or midwife could answer any important questions.

We were in a room at 1 am. I still had “Easy First Stage” on because I didn’t have the desire or mental capacity to change it. I was focusing on the ocean waves. I wanted no one to touch me. I stayed sitting cross-legged on the hospital bed with my eyes closed while Steve set up the birth pool. I chose to ignore all the sounds and discussions related to the birth pool set up. I got an IV because I was GBS+.  When a pressure wave ended I would take deep breaths and repeat over and over “I can do this.”

At 2:15 am my midwife suggested I stand in the shower to use gravity to encourage the baby to come down. It sounded like hell to me (ha ha) but I got up and, through pressure waves, made my way the short distance to the shower. Suddenly my noises became very “pushy” so my midwife suggested she check me and maybe I could start pushing. I went back to the bed and avoided the shower (yes!) And once checked I was told I was 10cm. She said once your water breaks your baby will be here shortly. I thought that sounded good to me. So I pushed a little with the next pressure wave and my water broke!

The midwives helped me to the pool and it felt so good, so supportive and soothing. Then a pressure wave came and I pushed. They told me to slow down! I was trying so hard to listen to them but it was like I was fighting my own body. With the next wave the head was out and they instructed me to push out the body. I thought to myself I couldn’t believe this wasn’t over yet lol. So I pushed the body out and they assisted me to pick my baby boy up. He was born at 2:30 am. I just kept saying “I did that! I can’t believe I did it!” I had so much adrenaline I was shaking and shivering like crazy. I couldn’t hold Asher yet because of all the shaking. The heated blankets really helped calm that down.

A week after his birth I can really see how much better your body can recover from a non-medicated birth. We are so very happy with the arrival of our Asher. He was 9lbs 2oz and 21 inches. He has, according to the midwife, a head on the larger side and I did have tearing but it was minimal. I’m healing very well despite the busyness of the Christmas season.”

A - Kimberly Gross
I became passionate about the field of childbirth after the birth of my son and wanted to help families have the best birth experience possible.