Jacob’s Hypnobabies VBAC Story

Jacob’s Hypnobabies VBAC Story

Our cleaning lady didn’t show on Thursday – not sure why.  So, my house was a bit of a mess.  I was feeling kind of crampy and tired on Friday, so I stayed home from work.  Nesting kicked in full force – I cleaned the kitchen.  Including the revolving spice rack and the cabinet doors.

Later that evening, pressure waves started and were 10-12 minutes apart.  They weren’t coming any closer together, so I went to bed and tried to get some sleep, which didn’t really happen.

At 7am on Saturday, I got up.  Timed pressure waves again and they were 5-7 minutes apart.  I ate breakfast, made Morgan some french toast and called my doula.  Brian called his mom to come take Morgan.  I was initially feeling like the Hypnobabies program wasn’t working, until I talked to Jean (my doula) and she remarked how calm I sounded. 

She showed up about an hour after I called her (9:30am or so).  We labored at home until waves were 2-3 minutes apart – 11:30am.  They never increased in intensity – I felt them as pressure/tightening sensations. … 

When we got to the hospital, the receptionist took her time getting us to a triage room.  And the nurse took her time getting to us as well.  I felt slightly nauseous at this point, but it quickly passed.  The nurse checked me and I was at 8cm.

They hooked me up to the fetal monitoring and moved me to a real room.  Since I was a VBAC and already over 5cm, they wouldn’t let me off the monitors, which was a bummer.  I could still move around some, but the cords got in the way and they were a bit uncomfortable.

I labored for probably another hour or so and then felt “pushy”.  I had a forebag of waters that still hadn’t broke, so they manually ruptured that and let me start figuring out pushing.  This stage was the only time I would describe as “painful” for me.  It took me a while to figure out, but once I did, it happened quickly!

I pushed for probably 2 hours and was just getting soooo tired.  My doula & Brian were awesome during this whole time.  Jean had me try leaning over the squatting bar on the bed and then things really started moving.  Jake was crowning and it was just the three of us in the room.  The nurse walked in and said I was going to have to change postions (yeah right!!).  She walked out to get everyone else since he was so close to coming.  Well, my body took over and Jake’s head was out by the time she walked back in – Jean was supporting that. One of the nurses actually caught him.  By the time my OB walked in, he was out.

He was a compound presentation – hand up by his face.  So, I did end up with a 2nd degree tear (ouch!), but it all went very well.  The nurses were all amazed at how round his head was – no cone head at all.  And they were all pretty amazed that I did it all with no meds.  I have had some ibuprofin since delivery.

Recovery has been 110% easier this time around.  I feel sooo great compared to how it was with Morgan.  Nursing has gone well also.

I will admit I was a bit of a slacker during my practice of Hypnobabies as well.  I listened to my scripts at night and did good at that part, but didn’t practice my fingerdrops nearly as much as recommended.  When the time came, I didn’t even consciously put myself into hypnosis.  But, it worked for me!  We’re pretty sure our family is complete now, but if we were to have another baby, I’d totally use Hypnobabies again!


Originally posted on October 6, 2008

Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis really does help you enjoy a much easier and more comfortable birthing! Use code hypno1528 for 10% off our Hypnobabies Home Study Courses.