Hypnosis for Childbirth – What is It and How Does It Work?
Hypnobabies® – Natural Childbirth at its best!
Mention “Labor and Delivery” to an expectant mom in her last trimester, and chances are good that her heart will begin to race, her mind will flood with concern and in some cases, she will even panic. She knows that the day is coming when a force much bigger than herself will take over, and her body will govern itself completely.
For some women, childbirth is a very fearful event, but for Hypnobabies moms and their partners, birth is merely an exciting challenge. The wise women who use Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis can eliminate fear and discomfort from the birthing experience, and actually enjoy their baby’s birth in comfort, joy, and love. In the past, the word “hypnosis” conjured up images of stage hypnotists re-creating Elvis, or people clucking like chickens. Now it is common for hypnosis to be used therapeutically in the practice of medicine, in creating anesthesia for surgeries and dental work, and for personal therapy sessions. Even so, there are many myths and misconceptions regarding hypnosis that can dissuade those contemplating using this powerful tool for change.
A Few FACTS About Hypnosis:
- All hypnosis is self-hypnosis, a hypnotherapist is only a guide. A person chooses to enter into a hypnotic state, elects to stay in hypnosis, and decides to come out of the hypnotic state at will.
- Approximately 90-95% of the population can be hypnotized. Willingness, belief and motivation, and the removal of misconceptions have great influence over a person’s ability to enter the state of hypnosis.
- During hypnosis, you are not asleep or unconscious, and you will always “emerge” when you wish.
- Strong minded people more easily enter into hypnosis, the opposite of what is assumed.
- You cannot be made to divulge information or do anything against your will while in hypnosis.
- Hypnosis is a pleasant way to relax and direct your inner mind to positive aspects of circumstances.
What about Childbirth Hypnosis Classes?
When learning how to use hypnosis for childbirth, you are taught how the vertical and horizontal uterine muscles work efficiently together when the body is deeply relaxed. The depth of relaxation needed to facilitate an easier, more comfortable birthing can easily be achieved with hypnosis. Women learn these skills in classes and practice them at home every day until the baby arrives.
Birth Partners also have an integral role in the preparation process: listening to their own script on CD, reading the handouts and guiding the mother into deep relaxation with hypnosis scripts. Birth Partners are an invaluable part of the birth process since they help the mother to focus and concentrate on their birth hypnosis tools, as well as offering emotional and physical support.
For a birth hypnosis program to be completely effective, other aspects of preparation for childbirth need to be covered in classes as well, topics such as Nutrition, Exercise, Staying Low Risk, Fear Clearing Sessions, Routine Medical Procedures and the Risks and Benefits of Each, Birth Plans and a Hands-On, Birth Rehearsal Practice Session.
Fear, Expectation, and Language Impact Childbirth Outcomes
In other cultures, childbirth is regarded as a natural, normal event in a woman’s life. The birthing woman is supported by other women, and young girls are often present to witness the event. In this way, birth is celebrated and honored. These young girls then grow up with the belief system that birth is a positive event and their expectations of childbirth reflect their attitude. As a result, their births are similar to their predecessors…without pain and fear. They develop a positive expectation of childbirth.
In our culture, expectations about childbirth are very much the opposite. For many generations we have been told that delivering a baby will be untold hours of painful, agonizing work, to be faced with fear and trepidation. We have all heard stories from well-meaning friends and family that sent shivers up our spines, and so the legacy continues. We experience pain in childbirth, in part, because we very much expect to!
In Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis classes, the expectant woman is taught to surround herself with only encouraging people and messages, to create a positive new view of childbirth and the expectation that her birthing will be a beautiful, peaceful experience. Fear clearing sessions are integral to this process, as they allow the mother to address fears, work through possible solutions and then release them.
Fear during birth can create tension, which creates pain, then more fear and the cycle continues. Fear and anxiety can also create adrenaline production in the body, causing birth to stall or become dysfunctional, a common reason for Cesarean section surgical birth. Freedom from fear can make a significant difference in the birthing experience.
By learning and practicing Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis, hypno-mothers are able to enter into self-hypnosis instantly, and create their own natural anesthesia and direct it to wherever they need it. She has total control over her body, and is an active participant in her birth process. She is aware of everything around her, and as birth progresses, she naturally goes deeper inside herself, trusting in her body’s innate ability to give birth with ease and comfort. The hypno-mom programs her own mind to give herself exactly what she needs.
Too Good to Be True? Can Women Give Birth Completely Comfortably?
YES! They can, and there are many variables in birthing that can affect the outcome. Couples need to have a positive and realistic view of hypnosis for childbirth. Each pregnant woman and her partner must take responsibility for the choices they make while pregnant (choice of prenatal care-provider, place of birth, people who will attend the birth, etc.) and realize that their choices can affect the dynamics and outcome.
Many a potentially wonderful birth experience has been thwarted by not making fully informed choices. Birth choices are addressed and explained thoroughly in a consumer-oriented childbirth class like Hypnobabies. Without a doubt, hypno-moms are much calmer and more relaxed during birth (which automatically creates more comfort), while receiving powerful post-hypnotic suggestions to actually eliminate fear, and for most eliminate discomfort completely.
How Effective is Hypnosis for Childbirth?
Statistics vary for each method of childbirth hypnosis training, depending on the length and number of classes/sessions and the skill and experience of the hypno-teacher, as well as the dedication of each birthing couple to the program. Ideally, childbirth hypnosis instructors will have backgrounds in both hypnotherapy and preparation for childbirth education and will be able to address each woman’s personal needs.
The following are statistics for the “Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis” method only. Hypnobabies is a 6-week course/3 hours each week, for 18 hours of instruction). Other hypnosis for birthing methods do not offer such in-depth instruction and do not require childbirth or hypnosis training prior to teaching hypnosis for childbirth.
Statistics for Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis Mothers:
1) Completely comfortable, entire birthings ~ 70-75%. Women who report that they felt nothing but pressure.
2) Completely comfortable until late first stage/transition ~ 10-15%. Women reported they felt pressure only, until the 10-60 minute transitional period, with mild to intense degrees of discomfort thereafter. (Most of these women described any discomfort as “very manageable”.)
3) Completely comfortable until “active” labor ~ 10%, with mild to intense degrees of sensation thereafter. This mentioned a number of things that impacted their birth experiences; labor complications, emotional issues, lack of support, or they simply did not do their homework! (30 -45 minutes a day). Hypnosis for childbirth won’t help a couple that has not done the practicing involved in preparing for their baby’s birth.
Just a note: All of the women cited related to us that using the Hypnobabies method of childbirth hypnosis, especially “Deepening Relaxation” and “Fear Clearing” were invaluable to them during their births.
Benefits of Using Hypnosis for Childbirth During Pregnancy, Birth and Postpartum:
- Nausea can be eliminated
- Moms sleep better even in late pregnancy
- Pre-Term labor can be stopped
- Breech and posterior babies can be encouraged to turn
- ‘Late’ babies can be encouraged to be born
- No drugs at all or very little medication means less risk of side effects on mother and baby
- Shorter labors (a relaxed mom means her body can do what it already knows how to do)
- An awake, energized mother, due to total relaxation throughout the entire birthing process
- A calm, peaceful birthing environment
- Fewer interventions and complications during labor
- More alert babies who breastfeed and bond better initially due to no drugs in their systems
- Mother’s milk production can be enhanced
- A comfortable postpartum recovery period because hypnosis tools help with any discomforts
- Our birth partners experience hypnosis in class as well as on their own “Birth Partner Relax and Feel Confident” CD, something that no other childbirth hypnosis program offers!
- The skills you both learn for relaxation and hypnosis are useful for the rest of your life.
by Kerry Tuschhoff, HCHI, CHt (CEO and founder of Hypnobabies, LLC)