As you can see, the amniotic sac protects the baby’s head and your cervix, and if it is suggested that it be broken, you can ask your B.R.A.I.N.D questions and then make your *own* decision. Artificial Rupture of Membranes –
If you choose that direction, an amniotomy can be performed with an AmniCot or amnio-hook (see photos).
Healthgrades, Amniotomy: “Artificial rupture of membranes involves risks and possible complications. Complications may become serious in some cases. Complications can develop during the procedure or in the days after it.
Complications of having your membranes ruptured are not common but include:
* Infection in the mother or the baby
* Injury to the baby
* Umbilical cord prolapse, which occurs when the umbilical cord comes out of the uterus before the baby. This can compress the umbilical cord between the baby and the mother and cut off blood supply to the baby. Umbilical cord prolapse may require an emergency C-section.
* Vaginal bleeding”
To help prevent an umbilical cord prolapse (cord being washed down and out when the water escapes, which can become a medical emergency), the procedure is done when cervix is thin and dilated, and the head of the baby has moved down into the pelvis (engaged).
When should an aminiotomy *not* be performed?
- When the birthing person is suspected of having placenta previa
- When there is a classical uterine incision
- When the position of the baby is abnormal
- When the birthing person has an active genital herpes infection
- When there is a known cephalopelvic disproportion
More information on Amniotomy, including potential benefits when performed at specific times.
- Birth Center Stories 108
- Birth Hypnosis 27
- Birth Professionals 32
- Breech Babies 20
- Childbirth Education 11
- First Time Moms 189
- Home Birth 180
- Hospital Birth 477
- Hypnobabies Blog 186
- Inductions 66
- Know Your Options 59
- Media Library 19
- Multiples 17
- News 36
- Podcasts 1
- Pregnancy Hypnosis 16
- Start Here 10
- Uncategorised 37
- VBAC Birth 74
- Videos 29
- Water Birth 170