• Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Login

 I was only aware of the time when my water broke and when my daughter was born. I made a concious effert not to look at the clock or ask the time. So the times written in my story I got from my birth chart. 

 I have known since I was little that I would have my children naturally.  My husband and I live in Colorado, but I grew up in Texas, where my mother had 3 of her 4 children, with a midwife, in the birth center that she has now worked at for 25 years.  We had a midwife here in Colorado, but my primary was a midwife in Texas, that I have known since my early childhood.  Growing up around midwives gave me a unique perspective on childbirth.  It was never a question of “Will I have my baby naturally?” merely a question of “What program will I use?”  My husband and I initially looked into hypnobirthing, but my midwife suggested Hypnobabies.  She said she had seen more success with the Hypnobabies program.  After doing some research, and seeing a water birth video that blew my mind (“Easy, Peaceful Homebirth (Elovie Extended)” a woman using the Hypnobabies program), we decided that Hypnobabies was the right program for us.  I started the home course at 26 weeks, and tried my best to follow it 100%.  I didn’t practice my finger drop technique as much as I wanted, but I trusted the program from the start, and didn’t stray.  I kept away from negative birthing stories, and filled my mind with stories and videos of amazing Hypnobabies births. 

At 37 weeks, we drove down to Texas to get ready for our little girl to arrive.  A wonderful friend offered his home to us, which was about 30 minutes from our birth center.  We graciously accepted.  We were there about 2 weeks, when my due date of November 24 came and went.  I was not anxious or worried, I knew our baby would come when she was ready, and I had faith in the Lord’s perfect plan.  My husband and I were getting great practice; I used my Epi-no to stretch, while my husband used his ques to help me relax.  This was very helpful, as I was able to practice, while feeling some of the sensations I would face in the near future.  Thanksgiving morning, I felt a practice pressure wave (Braxton Hicks contractions), and I remember telling our baby “You’re not allowed to come today, you can come tomorrow.”  I had no further pressure waves that day, and she didn’t come, as I had asked.

The next day, November 28th, my husband and I spent most of the day shopping, and I was starting to feel as though I’d be pregnant forever.  That night, we had the house to ourselves, and we were watching “Pirates of the Caribbean.”  At about 8:50 pm, I was lounging on the sofa in my PJ’s, with the movie almost over, when I felt something warm on my legs.  I remember sitting there thinking “Hmmm… that feels nice… wait, I’m not peeing!”  I sat up quickly, and gave my husband a knowing and excited look, and then I quickly waddled to the bathroom, shooting another goofy glance at my husband, while in my mind I was asking him “do you know what just happened?”  Of course, he did, I wouldn’t have done well in a game of poker with that face.  I wiped to see if there was any bloody show, which, there wasn’t.  My husband came into the bathroom, and I suddenly found myself very nervous.  This was no longer practice, it was time for the real deal, and it was time for me to meet my daughter.  My husband reassured me that I would do great, and used his ques to help calm me.

We called my mom, who came over right away.  We called my midwife, who asked if I was having any pressure waves (contractions), which, I was not at the time.  She said it may be some before things kicked in, and we agreed to keep her updated.  We finished the movie, and waited for my mother to arrive.  I felt a few light cramps, but wasn’t convinced that I was in active labor.  I was still nervous, so, when my mother arrived, we all decided to do a fear clearing session.  It was very helpful in calming my nerves, and letting me be more excited about what was to come.  I was starting to have what felt like mild period cramps, at irregular intervals, we talked about what to do next.  I wasn’t feeling them in my abdomen, so, I decided I wanted to take a nap.  At about 11:00 pm we asked my mom to take our dog to her house, and let her know we’d keep her up to date.

I tried many different positions to try to get comfortable enough to sleep, but I had pain in my lower back, and nothing was working.  I found myself very frustrated.  I was trying to use my switch, but I was having a hard time, and wasn’t able to get into hypnosis.  At about 11:45 PM, I started to have regular pressure waves, 1 minute every 15 minutes, these didn’t feel strong at all.  At about 1:20 AM, My husband ran a warm bath for me, and helped me into the water.  He got the “Easy First Stage” track playing on my headphones.  This was just what I needed, and I was finally able to get into hypnosis.  This also seemed to get my pressure waves coming more quickly, about 1 minute every 4-5 minutes apart, and they were starting to get intense.  My husband let our midwife know that the pressure waves had really elevated, and at about 1:50 AM, we decided it was time to head to the birth center.  I got out of the tub, and got ready to leave.  While we were getting ready, I really needed my husband to lean on every few minutes, during each pressure wave.  That made getting ready very difficult.  (Make sure you are as ready as you can possibly be, in the moment, time flies). 

Just after 2:00 AM, we were headed to the birth center.  The drive seemed to go by very quickly; I was saying my peace ques out-loud through each pressure wave, which really helped.  When we arrived, I consciously moved my switch to the center.  One of the assisting midwives asked me “Are you ready to have your baby?”  I nodded yes, but my husband did the talking for me, as I was pretty deep in my hypnosis.  My pressure waves were coming every few minutes, and I was still experiencing quite a bit of discomfort in my lower back.  The assistant midwife walked us into one of the birthing rooms while they were filling the tub.  She had me lean on a birthing ball, and applied counter pressure to my lower back.  She showed my husband what to do, and he continued applying counter pressure, which relieved a lot of the discomfort.  I was very anxious to get in the birthing tub.  I could feel my body becoming pushy.  My husband helped me to the bathroom, were I had to lean on him through a pressure wave while I was trying to urinate. Around 3:00 AM my midwife arrived and I remember opening my eyes to look at her and ask, probably for the tenth time, if the birthing tub was ready. She assured me that it would be ready soon; I just knew how wonderful that warm water would feel.  After spending some more time leaning over the birthing ball, I stood up and just leaned on my husband. I said out loud, “I can do this,” to which my midwife reassured me that I was indeed doing it. The pressure waves were becoming more intense, but it never felt like anything I couldn’t handle, they were just becoming stronger. After another trip to the bathroom, the tub was finally ready. My husband asked if I wanted to put on the sports bra that I intended to wear in the water, but with my body feeling pushy I just wanted to get in.  

Around 3:30 AM I was in the tub, and my body relaxed even more. It was amazing to feel so weightless; I did not even feel my back discomfort anymore; I was deeply in hypnosis by this point. Soon after getting into the water, I had my first pushing pressure wave, which was intense but amazing.  I started to envision my baby “sliding down my birth canal like a slide.” They had candles lit in the room, and everyone was talking in a whisper like I had requested.  I had my “Pushing Baby Out” track playing in one ear. The whole atmosphere was just what I had envisioned. I was on my knees leaning over the side of the tub; my husband was on his knees on the ground in front of me.  I opened my eyes to see my mother enter the room, I said hi to her twice before closing my eyes again, grabbing my husband’s hands and ahhing through a pressure wave.  All the pressure waves from this point on were pushing pressure waves. At about 3:45 AM, my midwife whispered in my ear that she was going to check me. She said out loud a few seconds later that she felt the baby’s head, and whispered to me that I was very close. I became excited at the reality that I would meet my little girl soon, and amazed that all I felt was tightening and pressure, but no pain at all. I started to feel sick, and burped a few times. Looking back this was probably when I went through transition, but it all felt the same to me, just intense pressure with each pressure wave.  The waves were right on top of each other, and my body started to push down with such force that I was in awe of it.  All I had to do was relax, and my body handled the rest. I was visualizing my baby crowning now, and saying out loud in between waves that, “my perineum is stretchy.”  I had to ahh through each one, and my midwife suggested that I do a deeper ahh sound. I remember thinking each time I ahhh’d deeply that I sounded like a man, and that made me laugh in my head. My husband was wonderful, letting me have his hands, whispering my cue words, giving me sips of water and replaying my “Pushing Baby Out” track when it would stop.

After vocalizing out loud once more “I can do this,” my midwife whispers that now I needed to concentrate. This let me know that I would soon be holding my baby.  I let my daughter know out loud that it was okay to come out, I was so ready to hold her.  My mom started to cry after I said this, and I thought that was funny.  My midwife asked if I wanted to feel my baby’s head.  I wanted to, but I couldn’t imagine moving from my position.  I didn’t have long to think about it because the most intense pressure wave came and I had to hold it back from pushing her out right then!  My midwife started to support my perineum, and I felt the ring of fire.  Thinking to myself, “Hmm that must be the ring of fire, well, that means I’m really close,” I concentrated on just relaxing. I felt someone else giving me counter pressure on my back, and they were applying it a little too hard.  To my surprise I politely said, “That’s too hard.” She apologized and I replied, “That’s ok.”  Looking at my birth chart, this happened a minute before I birthed my daughter. Only with Hypnobabies can you be so calm and polite, lol.  I felt my daughter fully crown a minute later and decided for the first and only time in my labor to actively push.  In the same minute her head and body was born.

At 5:00 AM, November, 29, 2014, my daughter, Ember Ruth Rogers was born.  I had been on my knees the whole time, so I tried to sit down.  My midwife told me not to sit yet or I would sit on my baby.  I turned around to sit, and there she was.  My midwife laid my wide eyed and beautiful daughter on my chest, which was a little difficult because her cord was so short.  I vaguely remember my husband behind me crying, my mom as well, I could not believe I had done it.  Ember had a little trouble breathing, she had some fluid in her lungs, but at 5:07 she cried for the first time.  She sneezed a few times and did not have a continual cry.  She was too busy looking around at everything, and at me.  We stayed in the tub for 30 minutes, it felt more like 10 to me, before my mom clamped and cut Ember’s cord.  The cord had not stopped pulsating but my back was starting to hurt again due to my placenta not wanting to come out.  I handed Ember off to my husband.  Nauseous and shaky I got out of the tub, and into a bed.  My midwife had to help guide out my placenta as I pushed it out.  I needed two stiches, not due to her size, but to how fast she was born.  I was finally able to have my own herbal bath with my baby, after helping draw many of them since I was a child.


Giving Birth to my daughter was the most amazing and empowering experience of my life.  Besides some discomfort in my back, her labor was not painful.  I honestly only felt pressure, while it was the most intense pressure I have ever felt, it was not painful.  My midwife was absolutely perfect, and helped give me the birth I wanted.  My husband was the best birth partner; I can honestly say I could not have done it without him.  I cannot thank Hypnobabies enough for how well it prepared me, and the confidence it gave me in my God given ability to give birth to my daughter naturally.  I have told every pregnant woman I know about it, and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a peaceful, calm and awesome birthing experience.  I am now six months pregnant with our second and have started my home course again.  I’m looking forward to going into my second birth with an unshakable belief in the Hypnobabies program, and I can’t wait to bring another child into this world as peacefully and lovingly as my first.

Hits: 248

Posted by on in First Time Moms
Beautiful Hospital Birth of Heath

"There were many times I cried during this phase because I was so happy with the development of my birthing experience and how beautiful it was. My body just knew what to do and my mind was focused on relaxation."

Thank you to Hypnobabies Instructor Fiona Cunningham for sharing this with us.

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Baby Heath
It was 6:50 am on Sunday May 24, 2015 when my waters broke. Myself and my partner, Ryan, were lying in bed when I felt a cramp in my stomach and then a gush of fluid. I ran to the bathroom all excited and informed my family of the news. A few minutes later I started having pressure waves so I started playing my Birthing Day Affirmations track and got ready for the day. I had just enough time for a quick bath and get dressed before I felt my pressure waves getting strong enough to stop what I was doing and focus. Poor Ryan was trying to cook eggs and bacon for breakfast but my waves were coming so frequently that he needed to call my mother and doula for extra support.

I spent the remainder of my time at home on my birth ball, listening to my favourite hypno-tracks to keep me relaxed. I felt calm, collected but also surprised that my pressure waves were coming so close together. I thought I’d have all day to bake cookies, finish a few projects and maybe go for a walk. Boy was I wrong! They were four minutes apart by 11:00 am so we decided to head to the hospital.

When we arrived at the Health Science, we gathered all my gear and made our way to the triage. I used my off switch and leaned against the wall during pressure waves while we waiting to be assigned to our room. I was 3 cm.

Once we were settled away, my birth team was very hands-on. My mother would read me scripts while my partner and doula would take turns applying pressure on my hips during a pressure wave. There were many times I cried during this phase because I was so happy with the development of my birthing experience and how beautiful it was. My body just knew what to do and my mind was focused on relaxation.

Around 3:30 pm I was 5-6 cm and found vocalizing with low “ahhhs” really helped release energy. My pressure waves were getting stronger and I was feeling very confident and peaceful.

At 7:00 pm I was 10 cm dilated. I would feel the urge to push in the middle of a contraction and it felt so good to get to this stage. Although my back was sore from all the squeezing, I felt absolutely no pain. The urge to push was so strong and satisfying. I had long breaks in between urges, which allowed me to rest. I visualized my pelvis and birth canal opening wider and wider so I could finally meet my baby. I had so much encouragement from my birth team. The room was full of love and support as I crowned my babies head and pushed him out. At 8:48 pm I looked up and saw this beautiful, wet little baby. He was so wide-eyed and alert and I instantly fell in love with him as he lay quietly on my chest. I’m here writing this all teary eyed… It was the perfect birth and I couldn’t have done it without Hypnobabies and my incredible birthing trio. I strongly recommend this course to anyone who is focused on having a peaceful and calm birthing experience.

Thank you Fiona!
Hits: 914
Aspen’s Birth Story - A Hypno-Dad's Perspective

Thank you to Hypnobabies Instructor Julie Byers for sharing this story with us!

"Without a doubt, this was the singular most positive experience of my life. It seems cliche, but my life changed instantly – seeing Aspen lie on my wife in the tub was unbelievable, incredible, amazing, humbling – I could go on and on."

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Our birth story begins on a fall afternoon at the Swamp Rabbit Cafe. My wife Alexis set up a meeting with Julie Byers to discuss a childbirth class called Hypnobabies. I was skeptical at best. Up to this point I assumed my wife would give birth the only way I knew – as medicated and numb as humanly possible. After all, (bubble of peace) childbirth was something awful that happened to women. It means agony, anger, helplessness, and danger – hell, I was taught in church as a child that women were meant to suffer during childbirth as repentance for Eve’s original sin. That’s where my head was at leading up to our meeting with Julie.

After a 30 minute conversation, my perspective had totally shifted. My wife and I knew about options for childbirth, that women were totally capable of giving birth without help, and that the birth of our child could be a joyful experience. Aside from my wife, no one person in my adult life has had such an immediate impact on my thinking, on the power of women, and on the borderline injustice most women face when trying to navigate a health care system that views their pregnancy as a near disease. The next clear step was to sign up for Julie’s January 2015 Hypnobabies class.

Even without the childbirth hypnosis techniques, the class was invaluable. The information from Hypnobabies was great, but coupled with Julie’s personal experiences as a doula I was starting to feel comfortable with Alexis’ decision to go for a natural birth with the GMC Midwives. I never was a fan of reading the hypnosis scripts to my wife, but I did slowly notice myself using the language and we both started to shift our views of what childbirth meant to us. We became excited instead of scared. We looked forward to a joyful, empowering experience instead of one dominated by uncertainty and weakness. That being said, we still felt we were missing a big piece of the puzzle. The universe smiled on us then – Julie was available to be our doula for the birth of our first child. We were ready.

As our guess date of April 22nd came and went we continued to prepare. Alexis began leave and could focus on hypnosis scripts, affirmations, and enjoying this exciting time. I bought her a prenatal massage – she got an awesome henna tattoo on her pregnant belly – purchased lots of fresh flowers. A week and half past our guess date, and the midwives were not concerned. We were amazed, and so relieved that the people assisting in the birth of our child weren’t trying to force us to do anything. “Baby M. will come when he/she is ready.”

Baby M. became ready Friday, May 1st. First thing that morning Alexis told me to stay home from work. I excitedly made our planned waffle breakfast – our last meal as just the two of us. Pressure waves came and went all day long. We walked the neighborhood. Then we hit the swings in the park, and then walked again. Alexis expressed zero pain, just tightening and pressure – just like the scripts said. I secretly thought to myself that birth wasn’t happening any time soon. I was wrong.

That evening things got pretty intense. Alexis asked for the ‘peace’ and ‘relax’ cues more and more often, and I was happy to have a role to play. Hypnobabies made me feel like more than a powerless bystander – I was an active participant. Around 11pm, I think we both got a little frightened of the intensity so we called Julie. Alexis and I probably worked a little too long by ourselves, but just knowing Julie was a phone call away gave us a tremendous amount of confidence. An hour or so after Julie arrived she contacted the midwife on call to let her know we were on our way to the hospital. A quick check at the hospital showed Alexis was ready to push. Our nurse filled the tub in the birthing suite as fast as possible. After Alexis got in the tub, it seemed like only a few minutes before we met our sweet girl! It was crazy – 20 minutes literally felt like 5. We had to let Aspen know that she’d been born, and when she let out her first cry I doubt I’d ever felt such relief. We were at the hospital 63 minutes before my wife gave birth. Our daughter was here, healthy, and we were over the moon.

Without a doubt, this was the singular most positive experience of my life. It seems cliche, but my life changed instantly – seeing Aspen lie on my wife in the tub was unbelievable, incredible, amazing, humbling – I could go on and on. More than that, the physical expression of love that Alexis demonstrated by giving birth naturally has left me in awe of my wife. I’m so thankful to her, Julie, and Kim from Greenville Midwifery Care for helping us craft a positive birth experience. These three women will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I am eternally grateful for their love and support.
Hits: 1030
First Time Mom: Brandy’s Comfortable Hypnobabies Birth

Thank you to Hypnobabies Instructor Julie Byers for sharing this story with us!

"At 8AM (after two pushes) I calmly told my husband, “heads out.” He had been watching me from the sofa and was unaware that I was even pushing. He jumps up and says, “WHAT?!”

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
I come from a very supportive family when it comes to natural birth. My grandmother always told me she didn’t experience “pain” during childbirth, only “pressure”. My mother was not as fortunate, but she always encouraged me to give natural birth a try before deciding to go the other route. When I was younger, I always thought I wanted to be knocked out for my birth because I have an EXTREMELY low pain threshold. But, as I got older, (and wiser) I saw that medicated birth began to scare me more than natural.

When I got pregnant, I committed to myself and my baby to try to make the best decisions for our birth. I came across hypnosis for childbirth and it peaked my interest. I chose Hypnobabies because of the amount of useful information you get that is well beyond simply learning to breath and relax. In the class, we learned different tools to use at different stages of your birthing time. I started using the finger drop technique on my back pains that I had in the third trimester.

The day before I went into labor I worked a 9 hour shift at work ( I would joke with people and tell them I wanted to work until I popped). At 4:30 AM, my water broke and I called my midwife to see when I should come in. She asked if I was having any contractions and I said, “not that I am aware of.” She decided I should come in to make sure I did indeed break my water (good thing). They tested me to make sure my water broke, it did. They hooked me up to a monitor and told me I was definitely having contractions, and they were curious that I didn’t feel anything at all.

I bought a relaxation album that reads bible scriptures and prayers of comfort and reassurance for birth in a way similar to Hypnobabies. I was waiting to use Hypnobabies tracks for the BIG waves. When they got me into the birthing room at 6:30AM, I asked my midwife how long it may take before I start feeling contractions. They told me if I was not in full blown labor by 12PM that day they would start a gentle dose of pitocin. They said the baby should be in my arms by 8AM the next morning. For the first time, I was scared. Natural birth, no problem. Pitocin terrified me!

The midwives were having shift change so the person that came and checked on me was a nurse. At 7:30 AM, the nurse came in to check on me and I was squatting by the bed because I started to feel pressure waves and I felt like squatting was productive. During a wave she asked me about changing my gown and I said I was most comfortable in my own clothes.

At about 7:45AM, I told my husband, “Get the nurse I feel like he is ready to come out but I feel like its too soon!” Nurse came in and rubbed my back and said, “Your midwife is on her way just give her a few minutes and she will look at you.” After my husband got her two more times and she just told him, “She is a first time mom so she is going to feel like he is right there. But, if the baby was coming you would both know it for sure.”

I decided, since nobody was coming, to get on the bed on my hands and knees so he would at least not fall on his head on the floor! At 8AM (after two pushes) I calmly told my husband, “heads out.” He had been watching me from the sofa and was unaware that I was even pushing. He jumps up and says, “WHAT?!” He comes over just in time for me to give a final push and he got to be the first person to hold his son! I pressed the call button and told the nurse, “We just delivered a baby in room 5!” Six people came rushing in baffled, it was awesome. I turned around and said to the nurse, “I told you he was coming!”

From the time I felt the first bit of pressure, to him in my arms was an hour and a half.

I have no clue what our birth story would have been without Hypnobabies, but when I tell it to people the looks on their faces are priceless. With all of the fear that culture feeds us about birth, it was worth every penny to just surround myself with the positive energy of like minds. It was worth every penny to have a teacher that could tell her first hand experiences with POSITIVE birth stories. It was worth every penny to learn about the real process of birth that doctors want to treat as if our bodies need help to birth. And, it is worth EVERY PENNY to realize how to completely surrender to your own body and trust that it knows EXACTLY what to do! Using hypnosis on migraines and other sorts of ailments is an added bonus too!
Hits: 2640

Posted by on in First Time Moms
Thank you to Hypno-Mom Michelle for sharing her beautiful birth story with us!

"Hypnobabies was a huge help throughout my pregnancy and definitely helped me through my birthing time."

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Lux skin to skin
"I can’t even count the number of birth stories I read in order to prepare myself for my own. I am writing this not only for my own memory but for others who are interested in natural child birth."

I was really fortunate to have a comfortable pregnancy but on Monday, March 23rd I had a horrible night of sleep. I kept tossing and turning, and I remember saying to Mike “it took me long enough but I finally feel uncomfortable”. Moments later (5:30 am) I went to the bathroom and something came out of me that I could only describe as a jelly fish (sorry for the detail, but this is a birth story after all).

I did what I did throughout the rest of my pregnancy when I had a question… I googled it. Turns out I had lost my mucous plug. I texted my mom to confirm Dr.Google’s answer and then waited. Soon my pressure waves started (pressure waves are contractions). I started listening to my hypnobabies birth day affirmations to prepare myself for what I was about to experience. After that Mike began to time my pressure waves and when they were 5 minutes apart for 1 minute long and getting stronger by the hour we called (7:30am). My midwife had been on holidays the week before and I had originally visualized my birth to happen over the March Break but when I found out she wouldn’t be available I immediately told our child not to come out until after Sunday, March 22nd. Turns out her timing couldn’t have been more perfect. One of the midwives came out to assess me and then we just waited for the pressure waves to get stronger and closer together. When that happened (they were 3:1:1) we met my midwife at the hospital (she had just came back on call) and continued to labour there (11 am).

I got into the tub but it slowed down my birthing time, which got me a little frustrated, but it quickly picked back up. I had practiced hypnobabies throughout my pregnancy but when I got to the hospital I just kind of went with the flow and did whatever I felt like my body needed to do. I spent every pressure wave with my face buried into pillows and my butt in the air, kind of like an ostrich with it’s head stuck in the ground. I tried switching my position throughout my pressure waves but I always went back to this one.

I can’t remember what time it was but I remember puking and thinking yes, finally! Because I knew puking was a good sign, it meant I was close to transition or maybe that I was in transition (entering the next birthing stage). My pressure waves grew quite strong and Mike (my husband & birth coach) was amazing at getting me through them. He just kept telling me I was doing great, he loved me, and that I could do this.
Lux sleeping
My membranes had still not ruptured (my water was not breaking) and my midwife asked if I wanted her to break them. I said no. I wanted everything to happen naturally. My goal for this birth was to have as natural of a birth as possible and that was what I was going to do. Except 7:30pm rolled around, I had been labouring for roughly 15 hours, and at that point I was 9.5 cm dilated.   At this point she asked me again, and told me it could either be another 3 hours of strong pressure waves or she could rupture my membranes and it could be an hour. I gave in and told her to go for it. The minute my water broke I felt a huge sensation to push.  I began pushing immediately and pushed for 30 minutes, drinking and eating apple sauce in between pushes. Mike held my leg up for what probably felt like hours to him and I am so thankful he was right there with me. I had tried different positions for pushing in and I had originally said that I did NOT want to push on my back but after trying all fours, side lying, squatting, the only position I liked was sitting up right but on my back. As soon as I heard them say we can see her hair, look at that head of hair, that gave me all the motivation I needed and I pushed and pushed until she finally came out. There was a moment of silence after the birth and the midwives worked quickly as the cord was around her neck so they had to cut it immediately and assess her. Mike kept asking is it a girl? Is it a boy? But they didn’t answer, they wanted him to be the one to say it’s a…. GIRL! What an amazing moment. Not knowing for 9 months made that three-worded sentence the most memorable moment of my life. It only took about a minute or two and she was back on my chest skin to skin breastfeeding 5 minutes after birthing her.

My midwife was patient as I had requested to birth my placenta naturally. I was just so happy to have our little girl happy and healthy laying on my chest. After giving me that time they weighed her in at 7lbs 15 ounces, just an ounce shy of 8 lbs! They checked her out to make sure everything was okay, they checked me out to make sure I was okay, and even though I birthed on my back, I didn’t tear (woohoo!).

We spent the night in the hospital because I had a bit of a fever and it was late, we were exhausted. We kept Lux, our new daughter, in the room with us for the night even though the nurse offered to take her so we could get some sleep. The last thing I wanted was to be away from her. We went home the following day after lunch.

I will admit, the experience itself was quite intense, but I would do it all over again in a heart beat because the reward you get at the end is better than winning millions of dollars. Nothing can compare to it. It is absolutely incredible what our bodies are capable of. I have my husband to thank for being so supportive and encouraging, he helped me stay positive throughout my whole pregnancy and birthing time. I also couldn’t imagine going through a natural childbirth without my midwife. She was amazing, understanding and knew exactly what to say and do to help me get the experience I wanted. Hypnobabies was a huge help throughout my pregnancy and definitely helped me through my birthing time. I do wish I would have used the CDs a bit more while at the hospital but I don’t regret anything about Lux’s birth.
Lux and mom
“Just as a woman’s heart knows how and when to pump, her lungs to inhale, and her hand to pull back from fire, so she knows when & how to give birth.”  – Virginia Di Orio
Hits: 1340
Hypnobabies Hospital Birth of Aubreye

This lovely birth story comes to us from Jessica Drew, Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis Instructor in Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC

"My ‘pushy' pressure waves felt like my body had no other choice but to push, and pushing actually felt good. During this pushing phase I didn't feel pain, just intensity and strength. But thanks to Hypnobabies, I had come to view this intensity and power as a good thing and something to look forward to and be thankful for … "

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Baby Aubreye
My guess date was September 30th, and quickly came and went without so much as a single pre-birth wave. Over the next few days I tried not to become discouraged as the thought of a medical induction seemed more and more likely with each day she was “overdue”, but worked to remain content and patient, trusting that she would come on her own at just the right time. I listened to my Birthing Day Affirmations, practiced my Hypnosis scripts, and surrendered my worry and desire for control over this birth to God, who I trusted knew our baby’s timing and would be with me no matter what path my birth took. I also questioned whether Hypnobabies would actually “work” for me, so I also read lots of Hypnobabies birth stories to grow my confidence.

My bag of waters finally broke on October 7th, one week after my guess date (still no pressure waves!). I felt so excited that my baby was coming, and also in disbelief that this was actually happening! I noticed that the waters were slightly colored, and my doula suspected that meconium was present. I called my doctor’s office and they suggested that I come in for an ultrasound to make sure the baby was still healthy. While waiting for the doctor, I went into center switch because I realized that this was probably the start of my birthing time! The ultrasound showed that baby was fine, but the doctor said that because my waters had broken and I hadn’t had any pressure waves yet, she would give me a 12 hour window to start laboring on my own (but noted, much to my annoyance, that she “highly doubted” that that would happen-thank goodness for the bubble of peace!). So, the plan was that I would call the doctor’s office and come in to schedule a medical induction if my labor hadn’t started by 11:30pm that night (it was currently about 2:00pm).

Now that I was “on the clock” I decided to some natural induction techniques. My husband and I walked around the block, fixed a castor oil smoothie, and spent some time together just enjoying the anticipation of what was coming. I began to notice slight sensations in my abdomen, but nothing that felt like “contractions.” I didn’t like the feeling of being “on the clock” and started to worry that my birthing time wouldn’t start on its own by 11:30pm. But with Stephen’s help I tried to keep trusting that the baby was safe and that the natural induction techniques would work. Around 5:30pm Stephen and I ate a light supper and watched a TV show while I used my breast pump to help stimulate pressure waves. By the end of the episode, I didn’t want to eat anymore and didn’t want to watch another episode (which is unusual!). My sensations were getting slightly stronger; they weren’t painful, but I just noticed them more.

Starting around 6:30pm, the Hypnobabies suggestion that “every 20 minutes will seem like only 5 minutes” really took effect. The time between 6:30pm and 10:30pm passed by quickly for me, and I really just remember squatting against the wall to help strengthen my pressure waves. I could feel them nicely at this point and they were gradually getting stronger, which made me happy. As my pressure waves became stronger I realized that I hadn’t been using my lightswitch or listening to the tracks on my Ipod like I had visualized myself doing in my birthing time. But I think that the Hypnobabies principles and techniques had become so ingrained in my mind and heart that I didn’t actually need to use my lightswitch or have the scripts read to me in the moment; it was like they were already there, and I was using them without even consciously trying to do so. As each pressure wave began, Stephen would read from the Hypnobabies scripts or recite some of my favorite Affirmations. During each pressure wave I would also recite in my own mind the Affirmations that I loved most, visualize my relaxation and anesthesia, and tell myself to remain loose and limp. All of this helped me relax and remain very calm. At no point would I say I felt any pain; I just focused on relaxing, breathing and affirming what was happening. It was actually exciting for me to finally feel these pressure waves which I had been looking forward to for so many months!

Around 11:30pm our doula arrived at our house. At this point I had to stop talking, focus and breathe through pressure wave. We stayed at our home for 4 more hours (from 11:30pm-3:30am), but it only felt like half that time to me! My doula applied counter-pressure (which felt amazing),I laid sideways on my bed (and even dozed off to sleep for a few minutes!) and sat backwards on the toilet for most of this time. During each pressure wave I would say “relaaaaax” for the length of each exhale, and this also felt so good! I was surprised how good it felt to vocalize through the length of each birthing wave. As I did, each pressure wave seemed to melt away, I think because my mind was so focused on relaxing. At one point I remember thinking “we should head to the hospital soon” but my doula felt like we could afford to stay a little longer. Finally, around 3:30am I said I wanted to go to the hospital because my instincts were telling me I would want to push soon.

We arrived at the hospital at 4:00am on Wednesday October 8th, and when Stephen pulled up to the hospital doors, I felt a “pushy” pressure wave and said, “Stephen, I think I’m pushing!”. Nevertheless, we made it safe and sound to the Labor and Delivery room. When the nurse checked me, she said I was 9.5 centimeters dilated! This was incredibly encouraging for me to hear! I had always visualized myself arriving at the hospital around 6 or 8 centimeters, so 9.5 was better than I anticipated! Also, the doctor who was on call that night was the doctor I had been praying would be on call for my birthing time, and that was another huge encouragement. She was content to let me do things the way I wanted to, so I spent about 30 minutes having pressure waves (some of them “pushy” waves) on all fours, and then changed positions and pushed about another 40 minutes sitting on the edge of the bed using a birthing bar. My “pushy” pressure waves felt like my body had no other choice but to push, and pushing actually felt good. During this pushing phase I didn't feel pain, just intensity and strength. But thanks to Hypnobabies, I had come to view this intensity and power as a good thing and something to look forward to and be thankful for, so I was able to work along with my body to help it do what needed to be done. I told myself numerous times “I am doing this” (one of the Affirmations) to boost my confidence and resolve. The transformation stage was something I was actually really looking forward to, and as the baby began to crown, I remember thinking “this is the part where people feel the ‘ring of fire,’ but it doesn’t hurt at all!”. I just felt fullness and stretching, but trusted that my body would be soft and flexible enough to let my baby out. My doctor said to feel her head, and I’ll never forget what that was like (surreal!). A few more pushes and out came little Aubreye! The doctor put her on my chest and let the cord pulse for a couple minutes like we had asked, but then stated that they needed to help Aubreye clear some meconium and fluid from her lungs. Once she was breathing well, they gave her right back to me. I felt tired, relieved, happy and so excited that I had actually done it! The nurse and my doula both commented that they were surprised how calm and in control I was the whole time (that’s why my doula thought I had so much more time left, because I was so calm!).

Looking back, what was most helpful to me from Hypnobabies was daily practicing visualization and relaxation, and listening to the Affirmations because they really replaced a negative, fear based belief system about birth with an incredibly positive, truth based belief system. Instead of going into birth uninformed, worried or fearful, I went into birth confident, prepared, grateful and educated, looking forward to the things that I would have otherwise dreaded (pressure waves, the “transition” stage, etc). During the birth, what was so helpful to me from Hypnobabies was visualizing relaxation and anesthesia, reminding myself to remain loose and limp, vocalizing “relax” through each pressure wave, and reciting in my mind my favorite Affirmations and phrases from the hypnosis scripts. Throughout the whole birthing process, I never once considered the need for an epidural. For me, birth was definitely an intense challenge, but I felt safe, supported and strong enough physically and mentally to give birth naturally. As I prepared with Hypnobabies I often questioned whether it would actually “work” for me. But now I have experienced just how effective Hypnobabies really is! It trained me to believe that what I expected to feel and experience would, in fact, come to pass. And that is exactly what happened.
Hits: 1154

Posted by on in First Time Moms
Holly's Hypnobabies Birth Story

"When She got there she said I was already 10 cm and to get me to a labor and delivery room asap. I have no idea what time we got into the L&D room because it truly did seem like 1 hour was 5 minutes. I remember once I got into my room I felt more relaxed and was laughing and cracking jokes."

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Holly Kneeling
First I would like to say that I was so exited to start this program I could not wait and started the Hypnobabies home study course when I was 15 weeks. I decided to do each lesson for two weeks and then maintenance after I was done with the lessons. However I had much resistance from my other half and my family on what I was getting myself into. I knew that I was going to be doing this by myself and was determined to do just that! I also found and hired a doula to assist me at the hospital to help with my birth plan and to be my advocate for the type of birth I wanted. My pregnancy was a joy and I had never felt healthier in my life. I was scheduled to work right up to my due date. They even had me scheduled for a shift on my due date! My due date fell on a Monday and the Saturday before I told them to go ahead and take me off the schedule because I would like some time to relax. The next day my mother and I went out shopping all day to get last minute baby items that we did not really need but we just love to shop. At my last midwife appointment I was already at 3 cm and they said any day now.

That night I was working at the computer late and felt a sharp period like cramp. So, I went to the bathroom and noticed some blood and I was instantly excited. I checked the time and it was 1:30 am on January 28th 2013, my exact due date! After I felt the cramping the pressure waves started shortly after and I started timing them on my phone with an app I downloaded. I called my doula to tell her what was going on and she told me it would be a while and try to get some rest. I just sat in my chair and used my finger drop technique and repeating the words peace and relax. After about an hour or so the app was alarming me that it was time to go to the hospital. I was confused and thought it could be wrong because this was not bad and I was planning to labor at home as long as I could. I called my parents and told them it was a good day for a baby, so they started heading my way. Then I called my doula and told her I wanted her to come over now. Things were progressing and the waves got stronger so I leaned over the corner of our sofa with my knees up and my belly on a stack of pillows repeating peace & using the open cue. At one point I remember getting the chills and dizzy and knew that this was transformation. After that happened my gut was saying it is time to go to the hospital. I called my doula back and told her we were leaving for the hospital and to meet us there. She was literally right behind us when we left the house. We only have a two mile drive to the hospital and on the way my waves completely stopped in the car.
Holly in love
We got to the hospital at around 7 am and I walked from the emergency room to the elevators and up to the L&D floor. I had two good pressure waves on the way and just stopped in the hall and went limp against my other half. Then we just continued on and arrived at labor and delivery where they wanted me to sit down and answer a bunch of questions. As I was sitting there I would just put my hand up while I did my finger drop and relaxed through a few more pressure waves. Then it was onto the triage room where I waited for the Midwife on call to come and examine me. When She got there she said I was already 10 cm and to get me to a labor and delivery room asap. I have no idea what time we got into the L&D room because it truly did seem like 1 hour was 5 minutes. I remember once I got into my room I felt more relaxed and was laughing and cracking jokes. My body was pretty much pushing on its own by now and my water still had not broken. The hospital I went to was designed by midwives and they have these really fancy beds that can break down onto different positions. I must have used all of them. First I was back and forth to the bathroom and leaning over the side of the bed. I was being monitored intermittently and only had a hep lock so I was very mobile. Then I thought lets try the squat bar to see if that helps get him to progress lower. At one point I could feel the bulging bag of water and knew it was going to be soon. At this point I was using the open and down cues to help baby down. I decided to let them go ahead and break my water to move things along faster. I was starting to get tired and decided to help push with the waves. At one point they said its time to get this baby out and I ended up on my back. I do not know how that happened. They knew I was getting real tired. I ended up doing 3 or 4 big pushes to get the head out. Then Elijah was born at 12:38 pm. When he was born I felt a huge rush of relief and then I was just in a state of aww. I was aww struck and could not hear a word anyone around me was saying. I know the midwife and nurses were talking to me about the placenta and stitches but I was not paying attention to them at all. I was thinking I did it! It was not painful, It was at times uncomfortable, but not painful. I even felt so good after that I was ready to go home the next day. The still would not let me leave until the following morning.

My doula talked with me after and told me that next time I would not need her. She told me that I was in tune to what my body was doing and what it needed. I love Hypnobabies and am using it with baby #2 which I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with. I started the program this week and hope to have an even better experience. I do plan to listen to the tracks while I am in the hospital this time (I did not do that last time.) Now my only worry with this one is making it to the hospital. I know that #2 will probably come faster.
Hollys baby
Hits: 1480
First Time Mom Deanna Arrives at Hospital Ready to Push

Thanks to our Cyber Tuesday winner Deanna Blankenbiller for sharing her birth story with us!

"I have to say that I was so euphoric after giving birth, not simply for meeting my sweet babe, but for having such a empowered and comfortable birthing experience."

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Deanna an hour before birth

On Sunday morning, 7/6/14 I woke up and mentioned to my husband Matt that our baby would be here in the next day or two. My Braxton Hicks were more steady, though not frequent, and my gut said things were changing from practice to the real event.

Matt and I spent the day together watching movies and running errands. In the evening we took a long walk, the same one we'd taken throughout the pregnancy. We talked about how this could be our last evening we'd have before we finally met our baby. We went to bed pretty early, in case my pressure waves picked up over night or the next day, we wanted to be well rested. Around 2 am I woke up with stronger and more consistent pw, and decided to start my hypnosis tracks- just in case they didn't subside. I listened to the tracks easy comfortable and special place until 5 am, when I decided to get back in bed and watch the morning news to loosely time my pw. The pw's were about 7-10 minutes apart so I cuddled up with Matt and told him that he probably shouldn't go to work today. At 7am I decided to make breakfast downstairs, at this point we planned to take a walk, but then I realized being at home and close to the birthing ball was better for me. I noticed my waves were now 3-5 minutes apart, but still felt very easy. I showered, dried my hair, applied my makeup (while on the birthing ball), and got dressed. The waves were becoming more intense, but still felt easy- especially with the use of my peace cue. I kept envisioning my switch moving to off, and warm hypno anesthesia flowing throughout my body. At 9am Matt began timing my waves more consistently, and I parked myself on the bedroom floor with the bball figuring I'd be here for a while. We called my friend Veronica who soon came over to encourage & support me and Matt. The next two hours passed very quickly, my pressure waves were steadily two minutes apart and one minute long for most of those two hours. I felt that the waves were stronger as the time went on, but very bearable, especially when I used my peace cue. I was chatting and laughing with Matt and Veronica between waves and kept wondering when we should leave for the hospital. Since we were birthing our baby at a hospital that is notorious for interventions and that has a very high cesarean rate, I was very reluctant to head in too early. In fact, I had been admitted twice to the hospital in the past week for low fluids and had to defend our choice to not induce during our first stay, and our decision to not proceed with more intervention after being induced on our second stay. I used the Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, technique we learned in class, and knew that our baby wasn't in danger.

Around 11:30am my waves began to feel much lower and I decided it was time to head to the hospital. Matt and Veronica helped get me into the backseat of the car, where I continued to listen to my hynosis tracks. I have to say the 15 minute car ride was the most uncomfortable part of my birthing time, partly because I was off my birth ball, and partly because I now know that I was in transition. Arriving at the hospital I insisted that we park and walk in together rather than getting dropped off. It was very important for me to do the things that helped preserve my bubble of peace, especially since it needed to be strong for the hospital. Matt and I walked to triage, after stopping a few times along the way to for me to drop down into hypnosis. When we got to triage I explained to the attendant that today was my baby's birthday and we were ready to check in. She asked a few questions, including if this was my first birth, and then she told us to wait. I wasn't sure why we were waiting, but I was relieved that the place seemed relatively quiet and calm. I continued to drop into hynosis in the lobby, and was leaning on Matt when my waters broke. We told the nurse my waters had broken, and she half jokingly said, "I guess that will get you a bed". No one seemed at all eager to check me or ask me many questions as I was being taken to an enclosed curtain area. After taking my vitals, the nurse said somene would be back to check my progress shortly. At this point, my waves were very strong and I began bleeding, which did make me a bit nervous. I was still using my cues, but it felt good for me to use low sounds with each wave, I kept repeating, "peace mama, peace". I was slightly embarrassed since I knew other moms were behind their own curtains, being very quiet and I didn't want them to feel scared by my low moans and cue words! We waited for about 10 minutes, then after going to the bathroom I told my husband I felt like I wanted to push. He quickly found a nurse to check me, but was sure to tell her that I didn't want to know how far dilated I was. The next thing I knew she quickly exited the curtain area and then the mild chaos began. Less than a minute after the nurse exited my curtain area she returned and quickly flung back the curtain, and ushered me into a wheelchair, I wanted to protest and ask to walk, but seeing her quick pace suggested I needed to move. The next thing I knew she was practically running me down the hall and to the elevator to get me to a birthing room, other nurses were holding open doors and clearing the way for us to move quickly.

The moment we entered the birthing suite I told the nurse I wanted to push, and asked her to please set up the birth bar. She said I was welcome push as I needed and that the doctor was on her way. The birthing room nurse was different from the nurse who escorted us upstairs, and though she was told I didn't want to know my progress she couldn't help question my escort nurse, " she's already at 10?!" I heard how far along I was and smiled at my husband! We had done it- arrived at the hospital with not much time for intervention! I began to push as I felt necessary, while kneeling on the bed and holding on to the birth bar. The doctor arrived and said baby would be here shortly but wanted to review our birthplan quickly first. She had a few minutes to review the plan before sitting down and getting to work. The baby was definitely close, and the doctor encouraged me to modify my position since at the rate baby was coming she wanted to have the opportunity to try and minimize any tearing. I pushed as my body was telling me, while husband kept encouraging me and repeating my cue words. At 12:39pm, after what felt like only a few minutes our sweet baby was born, and Matt announced we had a daughter! Lucia was immediately placed on my chest, while we waited for her cord to stop pulsing and the placenta to be birthed. After the placenta was out, the doctor congratulated us on our birth, and said though I had a tear, she was impressed with how calmly I was as a first time mom who wasn't using any anesthesia.
In the hour after Lucia's birth we had to sign the consent paperwork and fill out the forms we didn't have a chance to fill out before she came into our arms. As I left the delivery room I had a few nurses congratulate me and remark on how easy I made birth look.

I am so incredibly thankful to have used Hypnobabies for my birthing time, and highly recommend it to anyone who is open to the idea of a easy, comfortable birth. I have to say that I was so euphoric after giving birth, not simply for meeting my sweet babe, but for having such a empowered and comfortable birthing experience. Thank you Hypnobabies!!!
Deanna B
Hits: 2626

Posted by on in First Time Moms
Ben's Birth Story

"I was surprised at how the reality of the birth experience differed from what I imagined, even with all of my preparation. I couldn't have dreamed of a better birth."

Thank you to Hypno-Mom Alexis for sharing her birth story!

Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

Join our Hypnobabies Community and receive 10% off of all Hypnobabies products!
Alexis Josh Ben
I woke up at 1:30 am on Tuesday, October 29 and didn't think it was possible. I was two days past my due date, but as of Monday evening, it felt like Baby Ben would never arrive. My mom arrived from Tucson on Saturday. After two days together, exploring the area and indulging in delicious barbecue, she was ready to meet her grandson.

I scheduled a reflexology appointment for Monday afternoon. The midwife said that it would encourage contractions, and I've never been one to turn down a massage. The masseuse showed me some key pressure points and sent me on my way. Later that afternoon, we went for a good walk around our hilly neighborhood, in another effort to get things started. When we went to bed that evening, though, I didn't see an end to my pregnancy in the foreseeable future.

Yet at 1:30 am, something felt different. I climbed into the bath for the first of many times that night and tried to relax. This must be early labor, maybe even pre-labor.

At 3:00 am, I wandered into the kitchen and poured myself the first of many glasses of water. I decided to wake up Josh and tell him that I was having contractions, but it felt really early, so there was no reason to worry. Ever the faithful partner, he got up anyway and started timing. They were five minutes apart.

At 6:00 am, I'd sufficiently run up our water bill and Josh decided to phone the on-call midwife. She said it sounded like I was in early labor. She told me to try to sleep as I was already behind the curve from waking up in the middle of the night. I kept trying to meditate deeply, but the contractions were distracting. In that moment, I panicked - If this is early labor, what is transition going to be like? What about the second stage?

The contractions continued, gradually getting closer and closer together. Josh and I went through them all, using the cues that we'd learned in our Hynobabies class. Peace. Relax. I tried to doze off in between but was just uncomfortable enough not to sleep.

Finally, at 1:15 pm, Josh declared that they seemed to be more intense and he was going to call the birth center again. I told him not to, that it didn't seem like it was time. For once, he ignored me and called anyway. This time, the midwife on call told us to go ahead and come in, though I could tell by her tone that I wasn't alone in thinking that we'd end up back at home that afternoon, sans baby. I climbed into the car with my mother and my husband, snugly positioned next to an empty car seat

We arrived at the birth center at 2:00 pm. To everyone's surprise, I was already 8 centimeters dilated. Well, this isn't so bad.

I climbed into the birthing tub until around 3:45 pm when the midwife suggested we forego a water birth. Ben's heart rate lowered slightly during my contractions. It would be easier to monitor him out of the tub. I didn't realize it then, but she was a bit concerned. She called in another midwife to assist.

Up until about a month ago, I thought I would have a water birth. Then one day, I declared that I had a feeling I wouldn't actually have Ben in the water. I didn't feel disappointed about it - it just struck me as a reality. When she asked me to move to the bed, I wasn't surprised. We dried off and changed locations. They gave me some oxygen and Ben's heartbeat quickly picked back up.

The next 30 minutes went by quickly. At 4:20 pm, Benjamin Alexander came into our world, healthy, perfect, and safe.

I'm so grateful that my mom was able to be there, a calm, reassuring presence in the room. She stayed with us for a week after Ben arrived which was invaluable. I will treasure that time for the rest of my life.

Josh was incredible throughout the entire process. Whenever my attempts to relax faltered, he brought be back to it. That day and the days since have reaffirmed his position in my life as my sense of calm, support, and my partner.

I was surprised at how the reality of the birth experience differed from what I imagined, even with all of my preparation. I couldn't have dreamed of a better birth.

Hits: 521
Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

This story comes to us from Chattanooga Hypnobabies.
Hypno-BABYfullBlanketThroughout pregnancy Justin and I practiced Hypnobabies. He would read scripts to me while I was training my body to go completely limp, loose and relaxed at the drop of a finger. I was actually supposed to practice on my own as well, about 5 times a day and for some reason that was so hard for me to remember. As I got close to my due date I did start to worry I wouldn’t know how to relax, that I would just forget everything I learned.

My due date came and went. I now know why in Hypnobabies they say guess month rather than due date. We just got so anxious, not to mention the family as well. Every night I went to bed hoping that it would not be a normal night, but every morning I would wake up and know today is not the day. I knew he would come when he was supposed to so I was never once worried, just excited. What is he going to look like? Is he going to have hair? Wouldn’t that be a shocker if he wasn’t a little boy? He did know what he was doing though so we just needed to be patient. Justin and I got so much done in the week that passed after his due date. Garden fully planted, new (old) car picked up and ready, co-sleeper built and many last walks in the woods with our dog for a while.

Six days after our due date I went to bed on Sunday night trying not to wish for a different night and only wishing Justin didn’t have to go to work the next day. Around 3:30AM I woke up to go to the bathroom- again, and when I got back in bed I knew this was it. I was having pressure waves (Hypnobabies term for contractions- a much better way to think about it). I lied there for about an hour before waking up Justin. The pressure waves seemed to be coming about every 10 minutes or so but I wasn’t sure, I just knew I should wake him up. He tried to get me to go back to sleep, according to our midwives directions but that was not happening. I sat on the couch and put in my Hypnobabies deepening track which always made me fall asleep so I knew it would help me relax. At first I wanted to punch the lady talking in the face, but once I calmed down and took a couple breaths, it did help, tremendously! I was so calm and relaxed just breathing through each pressure wave as they got closer together and stronger. Justin called the midwife around six to tell her I was in labor. She said call back when pressure waves are closer and stronger and they’ll be on their way. It didn’t take much longer for that to happen. I knew this wasn’t going to be a long labor, I could just tell he was ready and I had been prepared for that. Justin ran around the house and got things ready and I continued to listen to Hypnobabies tracks and tried to relax. I couldn’t believe how much the hypnosis really helped. It did take a lot of concentration though. If I didn’t concentrate the pressure wave would feel so much different and painful; if I did concentrate, really concentrate on relaxing my body and “turning off my light switch” then it felt only like pressure. Read the rest of this wonderful birth story HERE.
Hits: 1773
Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

First time mom's Hypnobabies hospital birth.

"Checked in thinking they were going to send me home and the Dr. said I was 8 cm!"
Baby Ryleigh Claire Barron 1Ryleigh Claire Barron came into the world November 9th, 2012 at 2 am.

I do not know where to even begin because everything about the birth was such a great experience. I don't think I would have gotten through the whole pregnancy without Hypnobabies.

I went to see Joanne (ob/gyn) at 38 weeks and when she checked I was 4 cms. I wasn't feeling any different so I went with my regular schedule and when I got home I got lunch, went to the gym, visited a friend and when I got in my car to drive home I knew something was different. I got home, cooked supper, took your advice in baking and just tried to " chill out". Nick came home from work and all I could do was laugh because they were 5 mins apart and I was so excited. All this time having no pain just pressure:) I listened to pretty well all the tracks, got a warm bath, and read up on the birthing info from Hypnobabies. At 11 pm the pressure waves were 3 mins apart and 60 secs long. We decided to head on in to the hospital. I didn't go earlier because I was almost waiting for the intensity to increase. We got to the hospital but not before Nick played "disk 4 track 1". Checked in thinking they were going to send me home and the Dr. said I was 8 cm! By the time I got to the birthing room I was 9! Time was flying by. I kept playing any track and I was able to listen to our nurse and handle the pressure with Nick’s help. I tried the laughing gas but that sucked! I didn't need anything else because she was born at 2 am! It was the most amazing experience we have ever been through. Did I mention I did not need one stitch! Other nurses were coming in not believing it and Nick just explained it was our hypnosis.

We cannot get over the effect that Hypnobabies has had not only on our pregnancy but the way we view life. It has truly changed our lives and we are forever grateful. I would recommend Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis to anyone who is pregnant.
Hits: 1448
Hypnobabies® - Natural Childbirth at its best!

"The charge nurse asked what my level of pain was. I wasn't sure how to respond because the word pain wasn't on my radar so I told her that the pressure was really strong."
GavinOn April 2nd pressure waves woke me up around 6:00am. I had been having Braxton-Hicks since February and even thought I was in labor the weekend before when pressure waves got as close as 4 1/2 minutes apart! They later slowed and it appeared to be a practice run. But something felt different that morning.
The waves were very inconsistent, but I had a strong feeling that today would be the day I would meet my son. I snuggled up on the couch and took a nap mid-morning, but didn't sleep long because the pressure waves were starting to get stronger, however they were still 10 minutes apart. Ryan was at work, but my mom had flown in a few days prior to help out and be apart of the experience. I was glad to have her there. I knew Ryan didn't need to come home yet, but it was nice that someone was there with me.

I decided to take a shower and then got out my ipod and yoga ball. I listened to Early First Stage and Easy Comfortable Childbirth. For some reason in that moment I really liked Easy Comfortable Childbirth and listened to it over and over. By early afternoon the pressure waves were getting much stronger and I was experiencing bloody show. I called our clinic to let our midwife, Susanna, know what was happening and that I was in labor. Ryan came home around 4:00 pm and found me rocking on the yoga ball. At this point I asked my mom to make the brownies I was planning on baking for our nurses! The pressure waves were getting much more consistent - closer together and much stronger. By 8:00 pm they were suddenly 2 1/2 minutes apart and I knew it was time to go to the hospital!

We left around 8:30 pm and arrived at the hospital shortly after 9:00 pm. I listed to Easy Comfortable Childbirth the whole way. Ryan dropped me off at the entrance and I remember leaning my head and hands against the brick wall through the pressure waves until he parked the car and ran to meet me. I wanted to walk to Labor and Delivery, but standing wasn't and easy position for me so I tried a wheel chair. I sat down and immediately shot up because it was too narrow and forced my legs and hips shut which was far worse than standing. The security guard saw this and found an extra wide wheel chair that I could sit in with my legs wide, similar to how I had been laboring on the yoga ball. It was so much better! I was in my zone with my headphones and kept my eyes closed most of the time. Find the rest of Gavin's birth story HERE.
Hits: 1626
Hypnobabies: Natural Childbirth at its Best!

This short, sweet, almost-born-in-the-car Hypnobabies birth story comes to us from Leigh Anne Hancock, Hypnobabies instructor in Nashville, TN!
Christy baby
I had the pleasure of having Cristy and Casey in my most recent Hypnobabies class. Cristy's guess date was three days after the finish of our last class. Casey asked during our birth rehearsal, "How do we know when to go to the hospital? I really don't want to have a baby on the side of the road." I'm thankful that Casey was able to think about what he might do in that situation.

Two days ago, Casey called to let me know that they had their baby. It was great getting to hear about a Hypnobabies birth from a Dad first. He supported his wife wonderfully by staying calm and confident. Here is the birth story from Mom's prospective, with me filling in with Dad's phone conversation comments. Congrats to Cristy and Stephen.
~Leigh Anne

Our Birth Story:
Mom: Our baby was born on July 12, 2014 at 8:26 pm. Baby was 6lbs-10oz, 19 1/2 inches and was a.....BOY !!! Everett Jay! My birth was amazing. I can not imagine it going any better. I was at lunch with my mom around 2:30pm and lost my mucus plug. We went to her house and I started having light pressure waves.

I drove home and asked Casey to meet me. By the time I got home the waves were more intense. I put on a Hypnobabies cd, got in the shower and then laid down. At 5:30pm my pressure waves were only about 35 seconds in length, but two minutes apart. This confused me, and because I wasn't in pain, so I waited. At about 7pm Casey heard me starting to "ahhh" and thought we should go to the hosptial.

Dad: Cristy wanted to do some last minute cleaning of the house, but I insisted that we needed to get to the hospital because of the sounds that she was making.  To see how the story ends you can read it HERE.

Hits: 1546
First time mom has an easy, fast water birth in the hospital

This incredible story from a first time mom comes to us from our Hypnobabies Twin Cities instructors.
First Time Mom Twin Cities
My son’s birth story starts weeks before he joined us earth side. When I was 33.5 weeks pregnant I went into preterm labor and was put on modified bed rest. Then at 35.5 weeks pregnant I once again went into preterm labor and was put on strict bed rest until I was 37 weeks. There were multiple occasions during this 3 ½ weeks that the OBGYNs (I was transferred to their care at one point because I was so early), midwives, and nurses were convinced our son was coming. One nurse said to me, “you better tell your uterus to calm down” -- I did, so it did.

I was determined to keep our little guy in. While I was on bed rest I listened to a Hypnobabies track called, “Baby Stay In.” I believe this helped me tremendously to visualize him staying in and connect my mind and body. There is a line in the track that says, “I will tell you when it is safe to come.” I repeated this affirmation to my baby multiple times a day. Not once during the preterm labor scares, hospitalizations, and bed rest did I imagine our son in my arms. I always visualized myself still pregnant with him safely inside until it was really time.

Knowing that I had some pretty close calls, I knew our baby would not be making it to his guess date-which was March 19th. With Hypnobabies you practice how to visualize your birth; and since I knew he would be early, I started visualizing him coming on February 27 (at this point I would be 37.1 weeks pregnant and be able to have the water birth I was dreaming of, but also it is my husband’s birthday.) I also visualized him coming on night shift (I work night shift as a nurse on the birthing unit.)

February 26th was a big day for me. I made it to 37.0 weeks and was off bed rest. It was an amazing feeling knowing I had made it to (early) term for our baby. I decided to go to the store since I was finally able to get out of the house. While there, I had pressure waves, but I had been having them for weeks and they were the same tightening feeling. However, when I got back home that afternoon I just knew that this was going to be “it.” I decided to bake some cookies for my nurse friends at the hospital and write up my whole pregnancy story for my soon to be born son. When I was done writing it I said to him, “it is safe to come now and I am ready.”

That evening my husband and I started a movie and at exactly 8pm I started getting pressure waves that felt different from the ones I had been experiencing for the past 3 ½ weeks-they were tightening and cramping. I kept an eye on them and they were consistently coming every 7 minutes. After about a half hour I told my husband what was going on and that I really thought this was the start of our birthing time. Around 9:30pm we decided to get some sleep in preparation for our son’s arrival.

The pressure waves continued to come while we were in bed. By 11pm they were coming every 5-7 minutes. At this point I thought I should call the midwife on call because I was told once things started they would “most likely go quickly” and I was not mentally prepared to birth him at home unattended. When I spoke with her I told her what was going on and she suggested that I do the “tub test” for an hour to make sure that what I was experiencing was indeed the real thing. I was to give her a call after an hour and touch base again to come up with a plan.

I lit some candles and played my “Birthing Day Affirmations” track. It was close to 11:30pm when I got into the water. This is exactly what I had visualized I was going to be doing the night of my son’s birth and I found amazing comfort in this. I was so relaxed and at peace with what was going to be happening. I continued to tell my son that I was ready for him and that we were going to be a great team and work together for his birth. While I was in the water the pressure waves started coming every 1-5 minutes and they were becoming slightly more intense, but I was still able to easily breathe through them.

After an hour of being in the water, I called the midwife to update her. She said it was up to me, but we could come in and see where things were. Again, I didn’t want an unplanned home birth so we decided to go to the hospital. My husband pulled the car up to the front of our condo building and came back upstairs to walk down with me.

At this point, it was just before 1am on February 27th. My husband and I took the elevator down and we were smiling at each other with anticipation, excitement, and a little uncertainty. The whole way to the hospital I listened to my “Easy First Stage” track. I was incredibly relaxed and comfortable; and I was able to easily breathe through my pressure waves with ease.

We arrived at the hospital and my midwife checked me. I was at 5cm, 80%, and our son’s head was at +1 station. This was exactly where I was at the last time I was checked 2 days before (while I was on bed rest, I had to be checked once a week to make sure the pressure waves I was having were not continuing to cause change.) She suggested we walk around the unit for an hour to see if there are any changes.

I turned on my “Birthing Day Affirmations” and at 1:20am we started walking the halls. It was night shift so all my friends were working, it was so nice to talk with them and have their support. When we first started walking I was easily able to talk through my pressure waves. However, as it got closer to the hour mark, I had to stop walking and really focus through the pressure waves. The pressure waves seemed to be coming pretty consistently every 5 minutes. I was still completely comfortable at this point and was not experiencing any discomfort.

At 2:40am my midwife checked me again and said that there were not any changes. She suggested we go home and get some rest; and come back to the hospital when the pressure waves were coming every 5 minutes and I had to breathe through them. It was at this point that my husband and I looked at one another because what she described was exactly what was happening (looking back I just don’t think she realized it because I was so incredibly calm and relaxed through the pressure waves.) She continued saying, “once things really get going, you’ll have at least 3 hours.” To us, that was the decision maker. We told ourselves, “we live really close to the hospital, if there are any changes we can just come back.” After all, we had never done this before so we were not exactly sure what to look for. Additionally, we had had so many false alarms, that I don’t think we were entirely sure what to expect anymore.

It was roughly 3:30am once we were back to our home. I remember looking in the mirror thinking, “okay, these pressure waves feel really different.” I was still able to breathe through them, but it took quite a bit more concentration. My husband got me to the bed and I tried to get some rest. To be honest, I am not sure how often the pressure waves were coming at this point or what time it even was, but when the waves came I instinctively started rocking my body through them while lying in bed. After about 3-5 pressure waves I had to lean over the bed and sway my hips through them. I did this position for about 2-3 pressure waves. I then said to my husband, “I have to go to the bathroom.”

I am not sure exactly what happened next, but either I called my husband into the bathroom or he came in on his own. Nevertheless, I was on the floor on my hands and knees and said, “I have to push.” He said, “We need to call an ambulance and get back to the hospital NOW.” I told him I did not want to take an ambulance or go back to the hospital “in case this wasn’t it.” Hindsight is 20/20, because at this point I was going through transformation and was not being logical-this was obviously “it.” My husband, bless his heart, was able to convince me that we needed to go back.

In between pressure waves we were able to walk down to the car. Once we were in the car my body completely took over. It took everything I had to not give in to the urge to push. During this time I was listening to the “Relaxation Music” tracks. My husband got us (safely) to the Emergency entrance and he dropped me off while he parked the car. I waddled into the entrance and sat in a wheelchair waiting for him to come in. Once he got the car parked he went to the front desk and told the woman that we needed help and had to get to the birthing unit. The woman asked if I was going to have the baby right now and my husband replied with a quick, “I don’t know, but we need to get up there.”

We arrived to the birthing unit at 4:46am and they were about to wheel me into the same triage room that we were in roughly 2 hours before. My husband said, “she is pushing.” With that, the nurse said, “get her to room two!” They wheeled me into the room and started the water for the tub immediately, but they wanted me to get on the bed first so I could get checked. Everything was happening so quickly, one of the nurses pushed the “staff assist” button because of my urge to push and suddenly tons of nurses were in the room. It was at this point my husband texted our doula to come. Another nurse was pulling down my pants while I was crawling up on the bed. Suddenly the midwife was there too. She checked me and I was 8-9cm with a bulging bag. (In my birth preferences I said I didn’t want to know my progress, but at this moment I didn’t care that she said it out loud. We didn’t even get a chance to give her our preferences.) After a few minutes of being on the bed my water broke and the midwife rechecked me. I was complete and able to get into the water.

As I was moving in the direction of the tub, the urge to bear down was incredible. I got to the edge of the tub and started squatting. Unexpectedly, one of the nurses said, “she wants a water birth!” With that, I was swiftly lifted into the tub at 5:00am. The moment I was in the water everything seemed to change. The extra staff members had left the room, the lights were dimmed, and I seemed to be more aware of what was happening around me and it felt very peaceful. I definitely experienced the “pause for the cause” during this time.

While I was in the water, I was listening to the “Relaxation Music”. In between the pushing urges my husband and I were talking and smiling and when a pressure wave came I would shut my eyes, go internal, and push. My husband would put his hand on my shoulder and use the “relax cue.”

I was leaning over the back of the tub, with my husband supporting my arms, and suddenly felt our baby’s head emerging. I remember I said, “oh, this part,” but I honestly did not feel discomfort, just stretching sensations. It was then that the midwife said, “your baby’s head is out!” I could not believe it happened that quickly. She told me to sit back so I could see him come out. With a little convincing, I sat back and with another push I saw my son be born. I was able to help pull him out of the water and bring him to my chest. I remember saying, “that was easy” and meaning every word of it. Our doula arrived shortly after our baby was born. I was sad she missed his birth, but the nurses kept commenting on how great of a team my husband and I were.

Alaric “Lars” Dean was born in the water at 5:30am-during night shift-on his dad’s birthday. He weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces. I pushed for 30 minutes and not once did I feel any discomfort. We worked perfectly in sync with one another. I was later told by one of the midwives that the “only” reason Alaric was not born in the car was because my water was still intact when arriving to the hospital. I know this was a big reason for him not being born in the car. However, I strongly believe that my Hypnobabies practice of visualization and connecting my mind and body together also helped him stay in until we were at the hospital.

Hypnobabies taught us so much and when we decide it is time to have another baby, we will without a doubt be taking Hypnobabies again! Alaric’s birth was the most amazing thing I had ever been through. I felt empowered, strong, and womanly, but even more so I felt blessed that I was now a mom-something I have wanted to be my entire life!
Hits: 2897
First-time mom, Crystal pushes Baby Madison out into her own hands and then sings to her - so beautiful!

"This is a very raw, intimate and emotional clip of Madison being born. It was powerful, intense and overwhelming yet beautiful, calm and peaceful all at the same time. I remember birthing her head and body so vividly. I felt pressure and stretching... thank you Hypnobabies! Definitely one of the most memorable parts of my birth experience! :-)"
Hits: 6902

Here's an excerpt of an email i sent to my blessingways women, who were candle-lighting and meditating for me during my birthing time; in it, i describe what happened at little dylan's homebirth on january 3, 2008 and how he came into this world:

so, the day of january 3 began at 1 a.m. early morning when contractions/waves began and ended that late night with baby landing in john's arms. john caught the baby and also cut the cord. i'm not sure if it was the ragin' cajun' spicy shrimp dinner and fried hush puppies from dinner the night before that began labor or the storm. 'john, i think this is it,' i said, the time was 3 a.m. from 3 to 6 a.m., contractions/waves went from 20 minutes apart to 4 minutes apart, which was so sudden that …

Hits: 24216

On Tuesday, May 13th, I went for my 41 week check-up. 20 minutes of fetal monitoring showed the baby was doing very well, and that I was aving some pws (I had no idea). I had used the 20 min to get into hypnosis, since I figured the doc would want to do an internal exam. I was right, but she mentioned the “i” word even before checking me. At this hospital, they like to induce at 41 weeks and 4 or 5 days. But since that was a weekend, she wanted me to come in on Friday if the baby hadn’t been born yet. Her internal exam determined that my cervix was dilated 1/2cm and “wasn’t favorable,” though the baby’s head was far down.

Now I should mention that doctors here (Estonia, in northern Europe) really only deal with high-risk and overdue situations. I had only been seeing my midwife until this point, and my pregnancy had gone extremely smoothly. Naturally, I wanted to avoid inducing if at all possible. I asked the doctor to write down the name of the tablets (Cytotec) they use for inducing, and I’m so glad I did. I looked it up first thing once I got home from the appointment and decided that if they did induce me, it would NOT be with Cytotec. Also, the idea that I’d induce on Friday so they could have a nice weekend is crazy. 

Hits: 14032

 My pressure waves started early Thursday morning, June 12th (not sure what time as I didn’t look at the clock when they woke me up) but I finally got up after one woke me up at 6:40am. I had another one 10 min later so I decided to try and time them. Starting at 7am I started timing them and I had 4 in a row at just under 10 min apart. They stayed between 10 – 20 min apart for most of the day. I started listening to my Hypnobabies script Easy Stage One on repeat.

Between 5 – 6pm they started to get more intense and they seemed more frequent. I asked my husband to time them for me and they were coming about 6 – 7 min apart and lasting about 30 – 45 sec. I continued to breathe through them and listen to my Hypnobabies scripts the entire time. I alternated between Easy Comfortable Childbirth and Easy Stage One. 

Hits: 13435
lily ann was born on monday, june 9th at 12:39am – after about 14 hours of birthing. 

i skipped church on sunday morning – because i was having some pressure waves – however, i had no idea that the baby was going to come. they were 5 minutes apart for over an hour, we called to check and see when the dr. wanted us to come in.  i was GBS+, so he wanted me to come in at that point. 
my doula (also my HB instructor) met us in triage. 

they admitted me soon after – and i was dilated 4 cm. i had never met the doctor who was on call that day – and the first thing he suggested when we got into the room was that he break my water.  we declined.  the dr. and nurse read my birth plan – and both of them seemed somewhat understanding of our preferences. 

Hits: 15822

On Monday, May 5th, I went to my appointment with the midwife. My due date was on May 3rd, so she started talking about the possibility of inducing labor since they can not continue my care if I am over due too long. I did not want to be induced so I let her strip my membranes. That was not a comfortable experience even trying to relax. She said that she could feel Claire’s ear.  That totally weirded my husband out. : )

After my appointment we went bike shopping for my husband. I was cramping and bleeding but nothing much was happening. When Brian got back we went on a walk. When we were starting back I started cramping. It started getting so I did not want to walk through them although I could. When we got back home we decided to go out on what may have been our last date before the baby. We went to “Color Me Mine” and painted some pottery for the baby. That was really fun! 

Hits: 16601