First Time Mom Courtney’s Hypnobabies Birth Center Birth

First Time Mom Courtney’s Hypnobabies Birth Center Birth

“I listened to Easy First Stage (Hypnobabies main birthing time track) on the car ride and I really used this opportunity to refocus and recommit myself fully to my hypnosis and Hypnobabies. The car ride went fairly well in my opinion.”

Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis really does help you enjoy a much easier and more comfortable birthing! Use code hypno1528 for 10% off our Hypnobabies Home Study Courses.

First-time mom here, so I really had no idea what to expect. With that said, this was the most incredible thing I have ever done. So here we go!

Monday 4/8 I went in for my 37-week prenatal visit. Everything went really great and the midwife asked if I had been having any practice waves (Hypnobabies word for Braxton Hicks). I hadn’t had any but MAYBE two throughout my pregnancy. The baby was very low in my pelvis and I also began losing my mucus plug two days earlier. Baby was positioned LOA as he had been since week 26. Throughout the day, after my appt, I kept having a little crampy feeling low in my pelvic area which I thought was just baby moving and getting lower into position. After work, when my husband got home, I told him about it and how often I was feeling this sensation. To which he said, “You are feeling him exactly 7 minutes apart; you’re having pressure waves (Hypnobabies word for contractions).”(🤣) I was flat out in denial.

My waves continued to get closer together ranging from one minute apart to sometimes eight minutes. It was very inconsistent and I wasn’t having any discomfort. So, again, I was convincing myself that this was just practice and it wouldn’t transpire into anything. We did let our doula know what was going on just in case and she also said sometimes they can go all night then stop by sunrise. So, this was what I had told myself would happen. We ended up going in to make sure my waters hadn’t released around 10:00 pm as I wasn’t sure if I had just peed myself or what. No amniotic fluid was detected and the midwife also said she did not think I was in active birthing time and made it seem like this was all practice (that’s how I interpreted it; my husband disagrees lol). She also did an ultrasound to verify my waters hadn’t released and baby was now positioned ROA. After months of optimal positioning and he decides to move that day 🤦🏻‍♀️.lol

So, we got home and went to sleep. I put on my maintenance tracks as I listen to them every night. About an hour later I woke up with quite a bit of discomfort. At this point, I should have turned on my birthing day tracks but I was still in denial that this was going to be it. (I had thoroughly convinced myself I would be having a May baby. My guess date (Hypnobabies word for due date) was April 25.) I listened to some of my other tracks and was up the rest of the night. By 5 am, waves were still consistent and more intense. I called off work at that point but still was thinking all would calm down once the sun came up.

I still hadn’t begun my birthing day tracks and we went ahead and called our doula as things were becoming a bit more intense for me. Our doula arrived at our house that morning (me still not sure this was actually birthing day). Looking back, I wish I would have listened to my body more and focused on my hypnosis. I didn’t really begin listening to my tracks until I was already having discomfort and I felt it was harder for me to get into a good state of hypnosis and focus. Throughout the day my waves would get very close and long but then calm back down. I think this also contributed to my lack of focus as this created doubt that this was birthing time (Hypnobabies word for labor).

As this kept happening, my doula suggested I listen to Fear Clearing (Hypnobabies track to release any fears). I listened to this on repeat several times. Unknowingly, I also began doing the Miles Circuit completely unprompted and just by listening to my body. I had briefly looked up the Miles Circuit one day but didn’t actually read what to do so I’m still in amazement of how my body just “knew” what it and baby needed. By this point, things had really picked up again. There was a moment my doula stepped out to get some food and I broke down right there in our bathroom with my husband. I didn’t feel I was using my hypnosis the right way and that I could focus. I was having a lot of discomfort and was at a point I was seriously doubting myself and my ability to do this. I told my husband I couldn’t do this anymore and I broke down. (Not knowing I was actually in transformation (Hypnobabies word for transition) at this point.)

He encouraged me and helped me to get back on track in my hypnosis; I would not have made it through without him. Our doula arrived back at our house and supported me at this time as well. It was then decided that we would begin making our way to the birth center. I listened to Easy First Stage (Hypnobabies main birthing time track) on the car ride and I really used this opportunity to refocus and recommit myself fully to my hypnosis and Hypnobabies. The car ride went fairly well in my opinion.

They did a cervical check upon arrival at 5:30 pm. (I had asked for no cervical checks but the midwives were a bit insistent. Later, I found out that they weren’t sure I was actually in active birthing time and that based on how relaxed I was, they thought I was only at maybe a 4.😆) I told my husband I did not want to know what the number was. I felt I was still having some difficulty using my hypnosis at this time and if they had told me I was only at a 6 or something similar I would have given up at that point. (I later found out I was at 9.5!! Definitely not the 4 the midwives had thought based upon my relaxed state at arrival😂)

I was able to get into the tub and that helped so much. I was able to relax and get back into using my “Peace” cue (Hypnobabies cue for instant physical comfort) and listening to birthing scripts read to me. This helped tremendously. My water released after some time in the tub while I was listening to my body and feeling the need to push. At this birth center, you are not allowed to birth in the water in the tub. At this point, I moved into the shower. I was having pushing waves and at one point my husband felt baby’s head. We thought this would be it and I would be birthing in the shower. This did not happen though.

I had a bulging bag so the midwife believes that while I was at a 9.5 coming in when my water released, my cervix closed and I probably regressed back to around a 6. During this time there was also some concern over my baby’s heart rate. They were checking more frequently and also had to take mine as they weren’t sure if they were picking up mine or the baby’s. I feel that due to the concern and constant prodding this slowed things down as well. We then moved to the bed to try some other positions as baby was having a hard time making his full descent.

Positions ranged from all fours leaning on a peanut ball, lunges/alternating each leg out during pushing waves. My final position got baby earthside in less than 10 minutes; half on my side and halfway laying down with one leg in the air (my husband described it as stretching my hamstring). Baby was able to finally make it past my pubic bone and with one big push baby’s head came out. At that point, everyone in the room (midwives, nurses, my doula, and even my husband) all yelled STOP! As I was about to push baby out in one push. So as to not tear, I waited a moment and gave one more push and baby was fully birthed and here!

❤️Maverick Andrew was born at 10:12 pm, Tuesday 4/9, at 37+5days. 7lbs 0oz, 20.5in.

I’ve now had the opportunity to process this birth experience and talk through it with my husband and doula. Although I felt unfocused a portion of the time and that I was not successfully using my Hypnobabies, looking back at videos taken, pictures, and the insight from my husband and doula, I think I was using more of my hypnosis more than I gave myself credit for. I believe I was so far in my own head that I was making my conscious mind believe I wasn’t being successful but my body and inner mind knew what to do and stayed calm and relaxed.

I think I needed my Bubble of Peace (Hypnobabies tool to keep negativity away) to be stronger than what I had it as I was having many thoughts of what negative comments people had made when hearing I was having a natural, unmedicated birth. I also believe that some of this played a role in my inconsistent pressure waves and stalls throughout the day. Fear clearing and doing the Miles Circuit (somehow unconsciously) I think helped to get me back on track and in the right direction. I truly believe I would not have been able to do this without Hypnobabies and the support from my hypno-doula and husband. This was incredible and I’m so in awe and in love with my baby!❤️❤️🤗 
So, TRUST yourself, you can do this, and believe in your Hypnobabies!! It works whether you think it will or not! And if you have read this much, you’re a trooper! Thank you!!!❤️