Davis was born on my birthday, September 27th at 6:34pm. Weighing 7 pounds 10 ounces and 21 inches. (The exact same measurements as our first born).

Not sure exactly when to say my birthing time began. I wasn’t feeling the greatest on Friday, so I told my mom and DH that I had a feeling the baby was going to be coming the next day. So I went to bed early that night hoping to get some extra rest just in case. Thank god I did, I’m so thankful I got those extra hours of sleep before everything began.

DS#1 crawled into our bed about 6:45am on Saturday morning. I noticed I was having some mild cramping in my tummy and back every 4 minutes. So after lying there for 30 minutes, I decided to get up, and felt much more comfortable. I went to the bathroom and noticed some spotting, so I knew that this was probably going to be the day.

I went about the morning as usual. Made breakfast and got things packed for the hospital and for DS#1. I called my mom at 9am to come and get DS, even though I was feeling fine, I figured it would be nice not to have any distractions. I tried sitting down all morning, but had so much pressure in my bottom and back, that I could just not do it. So I stood or walked around the house most of the morning.

The pressure waves were fairly consistent but extremely manageable. Around 11:30am, I was getting disappointed things weren’t picking up, so DH and I went for a walk to see if that would get things moving. We walked for 30 minutes, and I only had one mild pressure wave the whole time. I was completely confused if this was actually my birthing time.

I actually remember contemplating if DH & I should go out for Mexican for lunch for my birthday, since I was feeling fine and thought it was false labor. But decided Mexican   might not be a good idea if this was really my birthing time and decided to take a nap instead. I put my headphones on and laid down from noon until 1:30, I had mild pressure waves during this time, but for the most part was able to sleep.

I got up at 1:30pm and called my mom and told her maybe this wasn’t the time and said maybe I would still go to this wedding with her at 3pm, that we had planned on going to. I told her to call back in an hour and see if I’d be ready to go. Well we didn’t go. Shortly after the phone call things picked up, and I was have consistent pressure waves that started to pick up in intensity.

DH was great during this time, we listened to soft music, my CDs, he read scripts, and described my special place. I sat on my ball, the toilet, relaxed in the shower. By about 4:30pm, I got out of the shower and felt as if I still had a long way to go, since I still felt great and was handling everything well.

After about 15 minutes, I started to feel nauseous and dizzy and thought maybe we should go to the hospital just in case, even though I didn’t want to go since I figured I wasn’t far enough along. The whole way to the hospital I visualized myself being at least at 6, but hoping I was at 8.

We arrived at the hospital at 5pm. Right before we walked into the hospital I almost had a moment of panic and started crying as I knew what I had ahead of me. I took a deep breath and said “Bubble of Peace” and all my anxiety lifted.

The nurses I had were great and so supportive of a natural birth, unlike my first birthing time. They knew I didn’t want to wear the fetal monitor and put it on for 10 minutes and then just monitored me with the portable doppler. When the nurse checked me I was a 7. Yay! Right in between where I had hoped.

The nurse told me they could break my water but recommended they didn’t so that the pressure waves didn’t get too intense. I got into the tub, upon her recommendation and loved it! The pressure waves started getting more intense and I remember saying to myself “Pressure, Tightening, A Big Hug” every time I had a pressure wave, it helped me remember exactly what I was feeling. When DH would use his relax cue, my body would just melt and instantly relax.

Not sure of the time, but about an hour later I told DH I did not want to sit in the tub anymore. I came out of the bathroom and the nurses were setting up the room for delivery. I wasn’t sure why since no one had checked me, and I still figured I had a long way to go. But apparently I had become more vocal, mostly making a low humming   sound and they could just tell.

I had 2 or 3 pressure waves which must have been transition because that was the only time I had felt somewhat out of control. Mostly just the last pressure wave, I think because the doctor wanted to check me while I was having one. I did not want him to do that, and remember being very vocal that he did, but I think he was holding back the last little bit of cervix so I could start pushing. With the beginning of my first push my water broke.

Things got really intense and I couldn’t quite relax. Baby was coming fast and I had
an epidural last time I had to push, so this was a whole new experience for me. My CD was playing and DH was saying relax but I don’t think I listened to anyone. I tried to gain some composure after the first push and did a little better on the second one, but I was so eager to get this baby out I pushed too hard and fast and ended up tearing up. Baby came out on the third push. What a relief!

Recovery this time has been amazing. I still can’t believe I did this and that Hypnobabies worked, I was a little skeptical, but glad I stuck with it. My only regret was not staying relaxed during the pushing phase. But all and all I am so pleased how it went. My DH was an amazing birth partner. I never wanted him away from me especially if I was having a pressure wave. It was as if I couldn’t get through it without him. He made me feel so calm.

Davis is a great baby, and the bond was so instant this time

1 Comment.