Audrey, born June 14th 2:27 am, weighing 8 lbs 8 oz, and was 19.5 inches long.

This is my first post to this group, but I have been following threads daily and have really benefited from all of your advice….

After the birth of my daughter two and a half years ago, I knew that I wanted something different for the birth of our second child. I had not really prepared myself for the natural birth that I wanted the first time around, and I ended up with a long and difficult labor which was full of medical interventions that I had sworn I would never accept. After a friend had a very positive experience with Hypnobabies I decided to give it a try …

My husband Corey, daughter Erika, and I all went to my 41 week appointment with my midwife for a non-stress test. Everything sounded great with the baby’s heart and when my midwife checked my cervix we were all surprised and glad to hear that I was almost 6 cm dilated. I was also having regular pressure waves every 8 minutes or so and my
midwife asked me, “do you think you’re in labor?!” I told her no. I could feel tightening, but nothing intense enough to qualify as “labor.” She told me that I should scratch my plans of laboring at home and come in to the hospital as soon as I thought something was happening. We all came home and Corey and I got some last minute things together, just in case, though I still didn’t think anything was happening any time soon. I went on my mile walk that I had been
going on every night for the last few weeks and had to make the walk short for the first time because I had a lot of pressure on my cervix. We put Erika to bed, watched a movie, I took a shower, and then went to bed.

A pressure wave woke me up at 12:30 am and I woke up Corey right away. “We might want to call your parents,” I told him. When the next wave came 10 minutes later I knew that we had to get going fast. Corey made the calls to his family and mine, got the car packed, and I changed and got the ipod ready. The pressure waves seemed to be coming faster, though we weren’t timing them. Corey’s dad got to our house around 1:15am to stay with Erika and I was already in the car, listening to my “early birthing” cd, and ready to go. I closed my eyes and focused on my breath through each pressure wave. I concentrated on keeping my face relaxed- not grimacing or grinding my teeth. I made a point to smile after each wave to keep my jaw relaxed. I was silent. I stayed in center all the way to the hospital.

We got to the hospital around 1:45 am. We checked in through emergency and waited for Corey’s mom, who was just a few minutes behind us. When we arrived in the Alternative Birthing Unit the attending midwife and nurse were waiting. The nurse asked which room I wanted and I told her I wanted the one with the biggest tub:) Once in the room, I asked for the lights to be turned down low and the tub to be filled. I was feeling a little shaky and the midwife said she thought I was in transition. “Already, huh?” I asked, not totally believing her. She checked me and I was almost 8 cm dilated, but I thought I still had a ways to go, so I got in the tub. The tub felt wonderful and I worked through the pressure waves on my hands and knees. After just a few minutes the pressure waves changed intensity and I said, “I have to push!” When I was being helped out of the tub I could feel Audrey’s head coming down. After just three or four
pushes Audrey was born at 2:27am. I can honestly say that I did not feel any pain. I felt pressure, but not pain. It felt incredible to feel her moving down and coming out.

Once she was born, she was placed right on my chest and her umbilical cord was cut by Corey after it stopped pulsating. She was beautiful and calm.

I had a lot of bleeding right after her birth and the midwife was very concerned. I asked her to wait as long as possible before giving me any contraction inducing medication, and she respected my wishes as long as she could. After one of the medications failed to stop the bleeding, a second one was given which, luckily, worked quickly. Corey was sitting right next to me, holding Audrey the entire time and she was sucking on his finger. I tore very little and recovered

Audrey nursed for a while, Corey’s mom left, I took a shower and the three of us went to bed. In spite of the ordeal right after delivery, I couldn’t have imagined a more perfect birthing. I know that it was all those months of positive messages from my Hypnobabies cds that helped me have this ideal birthing experience. I will definitely use Hypnobabies again if we have another child and recommend it to anyone who will listen!