Amanda’s 2.5 Hour Hypnobabies Hospital Birth

Hypno-mom, birth partner and newborn baby

Amanda’s 2.5 Hour Hypnobabies Hospital Birth

“Alistair and I headed downstairs, as another wave came on, I instinctively went into my hands and knees, although Alistair disagrees, I think we could have just stayed at home for the birth at that point. But he won, so we got in the car and drove the six minutes to the hospital.”

Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis really does help you enjoy a much easier and more comfortable birthing! Use code hypno1528 for 10% off our Hypnobabies Home Study Courses.

On June 30th our second child, our second son and second hypno-baby entered this world. About three weeks prior to this date, my body had begun working, I had multiple sessions of pressure waves (Hypnobabies term for contractions) that would last anywhere from 2-3 hours, I knew they weren’t long or strong enough for it to be time, and I took comfort in knowing that my body was preparing to make the day of, light work.

Back to June 30th, four days before our baby’s guess date (Hypnobabies term for due date), I had an induction acupuncture appointment booked. I asked my mother to take me, as I knew my body and baby were very close to being ready. My appointment was from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm. On our way home we made one quick stop, then back to the house by 2 pm. As soon as I stepped out of my mom’s car, I felt a “pop”, I ran inside and sure enough I had my first strong pressure wave and I started to think it might be time. I went upstairs to our bedroom and within a couple minutes, I felt what I found out after was my waters leaking, very different from the burst that happened with my first born. At this point I asked my mom to get my husband who was working in the basement and asked that she now stay and watch our first-born son.

The waves were only 10 minutes apart, I only had two or three by this point, so I thought I’d hop in the shower in case we were heading to the hospital soon. Alistair joined me upstairs and started timing the waves while I was in the shower, I had not realized they were about 5 minutes apart by the time I got out, I think this is in part for having my tracks playing on speaker. Once out, I had the urged to be on my hands and knees, and over the birthing ball, and it was time to put my headphones in one ear and I had Alistair using the Release (cue for instantly entering hypnosis) and Peace (cue for instant physical comfort) cues in the other ear. At this point I had about an eight-minute wave, and it was clearly time to move to the hospital, in fact it was probably sooner, but this all came on and progressed in a hurry. By this time our hypno-doula Ricky was already on route to our house, and Alistair called her to let her know to meet us at the hospital instead.

Alistair and I headed downstairs, as another wave came on, I instinctively went into my hands and knees, although Alistair disagrees, I think we could have just stayed at home for the birth at that point. But he won, so we got in the car and drove the six minutes to the hospital. We pulled up to the front and I went straight into a wheelchair and at this point I was not in my hypnosis and things were a little intense, but I knew it was all right, and I was not worried, just felt in a hurry to get where I needed to go to birth my baby. A triage nurse recognized that I needed to move fast and directed Alistair to the reception to check me in while she took me up to the L&D unit. I was taken straight into the assessment room where I would have been checked for the first time this pregnancy, the nurse took one look and said, “you’re having this baby now mama, just hold on”. She ran me on the stretcher down the hall to a room as other nurses and a doctor immediately joined us. In this hectic moment and Alistair not being by my side, my breathing was not controlled.

The room was busy with everyone getting the bed and things in order, it was a room full of women, all there to support me, as they all encouraged me that I was almost there, and that just a few pushes and my baby would be here, then Alistair walked in the room, next Ricky came flying in. Ricky noticed my breathing right away and popped her head up right in front of me and got me breathing in a more productive manner and in that moment, and a few Peace cues, all was calm in the room. I had two pushes during waves, then a break that lasted around five minutes with no waves, everything was quiet and I realized this is where I could do some controlled pushing, I did a little, and I rested. The next push during the wave was a big one, push number three and my baby’s head was born, I was told to wait another minute, then push, then birthed the rest of my baby. Jacob was born at 4:16 pm and nursed no problem straight away, born 2 hours and 15 minutes from when it all started when I stepped out of my mom’s car, and 25 minutes from when we pulled up to the hospital.

This was one of the most empowering experiences of my life, right next to the very different experience of my first born with a 24 hour birth story, but both Hypnobabies, and both amazing stories, both what I always wanted, drug free!

To my hypno-doula Ricky and the Hypnobabies program, thank you so much for all of the knowledge and support you have given us through the birth of both of our sons, your presence all the way through both was invaluable and you will be a part of both of these stories forever.